Go Cowboys!


"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure  you, it's much more serious than that.” - Bill Shankly

When David and I started to really plan for my move to Connecticut,  I knew I couldn't bring my family with me. I knew I couldn't move  the nice movie theatres and shopping malls or my favorite  restaurants, Gloria's & Luna De Noche. I knew there was not a  realistic chance that I could get the City of Plano to move my old,  comforting park that I'd been walking in since I was 16 years up to Hebron. But the one thing that I COULD keep was my Dallas Cowboys. 

David promised that if I would move to CT and give up all the rest,  he'd turn in the cable box and get a dish so we could have the NFL  Network Package with all the Cowboys games I could watch in HD. Fair  trade? Well, not really, but it was the best that he could do under the circumstances. To his credit, he's been doing everything in his  power to make sure that I am happy and not missing Dallas TOO  terribly ever since.  So, as promised he had the dish installed last week in time for the upcoming opening day.

We've been talking football since the first time we went out and  haven't stopped the ribbing yet. He's a Giants fan (yes, yes, I  know) so I am counting the days until the highly anticipated  re-match on Nov 2nd at Giants Stadium. I'm sure the stakes will be  high....I'll let you know. (But I will say, I am planning on having  a beautifully cleaned car all winter long! ha) When I walked into the house for dinner Friday night there were two  small boxes on the kitchen table. "I have a surprise for you," David  said with a big grin and I ripped into the box (with the Cowboys  label, of course). He had ordered "his & her / Giants & Cowboys"  remote controls! Whatta guy! He truly knows the way to my heart, that's for sure.....FOOTBALL!  He couldn't have chosen a better surprise.

I am so excited for the football season - I've been talking about it with Evan all summer long. Trying to get him to route with me for that blue and silver Dallas star!

On days when I am sad or missing home or nervous about what to expect with the upcoming winter months and I am trying to "snap myself out of it" one of my reoccurring daydreams is about "The Perfect CT Sunday in the Winter": Coming home from church and David and I sitting on the floor with Evan playing with cars or working a puzzle. A big pot of chili or beef stew on the stove filling the air with an amazing smell. The pellet stove keeping the living room warm and toasty no matter how cold it is outside. The house filled with laughter and cheers (well at least mine and Evan's) for the Cowboys in our t-shirts and jerseys. Whatta a perfect day. It's hard to be sad or scared with thoughts like that. 

As Clairee says "...I do love football, but it’s hard to parlay that into a reason to live..."  Although for right now, it's keeping me going on the tough days. I can't wait for football season.  Go Cowboys!

Comments

David said…
Just look at how beautiful that NY Giant remote is! It is Red, White and Blue and on the back it says Super Bowl Champions XLII – 2007. Now tell me, what could be better than that? Last I checked, isn’t that Americas colors? Move over Cowboys, America has a new team!!! Romo who… Go Giants!!!
Matthew said…
I agree with David that the Giants remote does look nice. This must only be, however, that while the remote succeeds in carrying a good color pallet, it fails to convey the extreme "dumb-face" quality of their quarterback...who just happens to be the second best in his city.
mom said…
talk about fighting words.. wow
David said…
Matthew, true enough. While Eli does have a "dumb-face" quality about him, think about this... Maybe his dumb-face” look works to his advantage. At least Eli concentrates on his play book rather than his black book.
Kimberly said…
Matt, you're not gonna take that are you?
Matt said…
Well, I'm sure Eli doesn't need a black book - all he has to do is remember the numbers for those guys from Queer Eye for Eli.

Popular Posts