My Trip Back to Dallas

I started this on Friday, Nov 28 and just never had a chance to sit and finish it.  Sorry it's taken so long.


I had such a great Thanksgiving visit!  My flight to Dallas was fast and easy.  I had an aisle seat and the only empty seat on the plane was the middle seat next to me. The lady next to the window and I sprawled out our things and we stretched out as best could.  Unheard of on a Wednesday before Thanksgiving flight.....Fantastic!   We arrived at the gate 30 minutes early!  Again, unheard of!  The flight attendant came on over the speaker and said "Please be sure and thank our pilots for getting us into DFW 30 minutes ahead of schedule."  The lady behind me mumbled, "Great, just more time to wait for our connecting flights."  Wow, way to look for the silver lining lady, I thought. Some lucky family gets to have Thanksgiving with YOU...the eternal optimist.  It was so GREAT to get off the plane and see Mom, Dad and Grandmommy there waiting for me.  After a round of hugs and smiles and photos, we were off.   Where to you ask?  MEXICAN FOOD of course!
It was SO GOOD to home!  We stopped at Uncle Julio's and sat on the PATIO. (Okay, so there were a couple of heaters around, but still!) Bright colored walls, loud music, the smell of fresh tortillas and salsa, a big bull head hanging on the wall. I was HOME! We had more laughs, hugs and photos and then we were headed home.


When I got home, true to form, Mom had completely spoiled me!  There was a big sign on the door to my room complete with "Go Cowboys".  A pair of pink flannel pjs and socks were folded on the bed.  My NY Yankees cap that David gave me (and I could not find for the LIFE of me) was there along with a new set of rollers to use.  My favorite cookies were plentiful on the counter.  It was GOOD TO BE HOME!


The little one hour time change threw me though.  I was the first one ready for bed and the first one up on Thursday morning. I sat in bed waiting … and when I heard the first door creak, I jumped up.  I was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to get up.  I got in the car in my pajamas to make a Starbuck run! It was right around the corner - a minute down the road. It was SO GOOD to be home!! 


Even better than all the goodies mom had waiting me, she had a project waiting for me as well! She needed me to decorate two gift Christmas trees for her ladies in her bible study.  I got to make a "ribbon run" to WalMart with Dad.  I was so excited to have a project! When we walked in, we needed to get eggs and cornbread for the stuffing.  As we walked down the aisle, I smiled as we passed the bread.....four rows of TORTILLAS!  Corn, flour, whole wheat, spinach, all sizes and shapes. I virtual sea of tortillas. Yeah Texas! (They are harder to find than you'd think in our little grocery store). We got our groceries and headed for the ribbon.  We passed the corner and rounded a display of Dr. Pepper with big Cowboy stars on the cases.  It may me smile inside. We rounded yet another corner and there were was a aisle of sweatshirts, socks, t-shirts, pjs, hats all bearing that blue and white star.  That made me smile on the outside!  It was GOOD TO BE HOME!


Mom, Dad and Grandmommy worked in the kitchen.  I sat in the living room in front of White Christmas singing along to every song and decorating the trees...happy as could be....tying ribbon and hanging tiny ornaments. 


Mary came over and joined us for lunch. We had a fabulous meal with all the traditional dishes including turkey and stuffing, two kinds of sweet potatoes and  my personal favorite:  brussel sprouts with bacon and mushrooms.  Yum!

I noticed on the coffee table a new box of 96 crayons and a barbie cheerleading coloring book! (Okay, okay, I'm a childish nerd, I know)  but I couldn't resist a new 96 box.  I sat on the couch in my jeans and Cowboys jersey (with my new pink striped socks, of course) coloring in a child's coloring book, watching the Cowboy game (that was going pretty well I might add), happy as a clam! I felt eight again. It was THE BEST!

Marsha, Jayme and Michael came over with the kids and we visited for a while.  We watched the rest of the game and colored and played with the kids. And then Mom and Marsha and Grandmommy and I went to look at Christmas lights.  I have photos of ALL these things, but they are stuck on Dad's computer and I can't seem to get them off (I already erased them from my computer).  Ugh.

Friday I was up again and we shopping for some boots.  I got a croc/ugg combo boot that will work in the wet snow here (I'm hoping).  Then John and Jenny came over with the kids.  I had a BALL playing with them.  They are so cute! I swear, they are beautiful kids!  ha.  (If I do say so myself).  And sweet.  I had so much fun that day.  I wish it could have been a week! Moonsand, princesses and barbies,  Dora, the works!  It was fun.

I got to have dinner at one of the best places for Mexican, Luna, with Mary and Bill and Haley.    It was fun to see them and get to visit.  (Hope you're coming to VT this summer, Haley!)

And then as quick as I got there, I was on the plane back home.  It was a whirlwind of a trip, but so fun!  I can't until my next trip out.  It's GOOD TO BE HOME!

Comments

Matthew said…
It sounds like you had a lot of fun - I'm sorry we missed you, but we look forward to seeing you this Christmas!

Popular Posts