Celebrating The Batman

evan_and_his_batman_art2

Saturday afternoon we went to see Evan's school art project displayed: The Batman.  Now, let me preface this story with a few details. The previous Friday afternoon, I developed a little cough and sniffle.  Nothing to get too excited about - just wasn't feeling my best.  As the weekend progressed, so did the cold. By Monday afternoon, I was full blown SICK!   Coughing, sneezing, sniffling, watery eyes and full head pain SICK! I spent most of Monday-Friday either sitting lifelessly in my cube at work or laying on my back in my apartment.  The worst thing was my mouth ached.  It felt like someone raked over my gums, top and bottom, with a fork until they were hamburger meat.  My eyeballs and sinuses had sharp shooting pains.  It was hard to breathe and forget about sleeping.  It was the worst "cold" I think I've ever had.  All this during a lovely March snow storm.  Dragging myself out of bed in the morning to go out into 7 and 10 degree weather to get to work.  The lack of sleep getting to me - more tired than the day before. It was one TOUGH week.


Needless to say, I didn't see much of David that week.  He called me on Wednesday night and in that conversation mentioned that Evan's art project was going to be in a museum and that Wendy and Eric wanted us to go with them to support Evan.  1:00 on Saturday. I listened and congratulated Evan, but figured that it was a 50/50 shot I'd be able to be there.  "OK, I said. Didn't give it much thought. I was busy trying not to die. 


Friday night on the way home from work, I called David. I was feeling a little better at that point.  The mouth pain that was haunting me had finally subsided and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep.  David said "Change of plans.  Wendy decided to have us all go over together at 3:30 and she invited the Grandparents.  Then we are all going out to dinner."  "Do they know I'm sick?" I asked, surprised that David still wanted me to go.  I guess it was really important to him, so I didn't say anything else when he said it would be fine.  I was tired from a long week and ready to get to bed. I went home and fell asleep by 7:00.  Again, not much thought about it. I was going to live at this point, but was concentrated on my exhaustion.


Saturday rolled around and I finally got up around 10:45.  I was tired and sluggish and stuffy, but improved from the misery I had been in earlier in the week.  I took a long, steamy shower and laid back down. That movement alone was enough to get my head spinning.  I was moving slow.  David called.  "Do you want to come over or do you want us to pick you up?"  We agreed that they could come and pick me up at 2:45.  I hung up the phone and laid back down - still tired, system full of a week of Sudafed, Sinutab and the like.


About 1:00 I decided I'd better get with the program.  Up and at 'em.  I got back in the shower to clear my head once more.  This routine had become my saving grace.  Whether 3:00AM, or 2 or 3 times in the morning to get going, it was usually my only relief in the day.


I'd been wearing my hair in a bun all week and hadn't messed with it.  Could I pull that off again?  I reminded myself of the few brief conversations I'd had with David this week.  "In a museum.....dinner after....grandparents and all invited."  No, a hair knot would not do.  I leaned over to blow dry my roots and got a head rush.  My ears swooshed and it sounded like the ocean in my head. I started to fall and grabbed the sink catching my leg on the base corner.  That'll be a bruise I thought to myself.  I sat on the toilet and finished drying my hair right side up.  No root lift, but who will notice.  This procedure alone was enough to wear me out. I knew this would happen - that's why I started early. I sat back down in front of the tv.  After a little Paula Deen, I put on my makeup.  After a little Bobby Flay, I got up and put the curlers in my hair to let them set. At this point, it was about 2:15.  Time to get dressed.  What to wear?  I ran the few facts I had back through my mind...."In a museum.....dinner after....grandparents and all invited."  Better go with casual, but nice.  I put on a pair of black pants (I know...surprise, surprise) and cotton shirt.  Black heels.  I put on my black earrings....no too casual...need more "nice"...I put on the metallic gold and silver hoops.  Lots of makeup covered the black circles as best I could under my eyes.


I don't look too bad for a sick girl with the week I've had.  I think I can make it through.  I start a coughing fit. Oh yeah....better put the cough drops and Sudafed in my purse!


Why I am telling you all this?  Do you really need to know step-by-step my getting ready....well...I tell you ALL this so you will understand my SHOCK as I walk out to the car and see David in a pair of jeans and a wrinkled yellow t-shirt looking like he's going out to work in the yard.  I stand there for a moment in disbelief.  David usually looks like he stepped out of a band box even for running errands and breakfast on Saturday morning.  I look in the back seat.  Evan is in his jeans and Cowboy t-shirt.  I very sweet gesture - I love it when Evan wears it.  But David hadn't even wiped the stain off the star that must have developed over lunch.  I slumped into the car feeling like I was going to paint a house in a prom dress.  I smiled and chatted with Evan on the way about his project. 


When we got there, Wendy and Eric, Olivia and Jameson and the Grandparents were already there waiting outside.  I noticed the people walking from the parking lot to the building (much like the Rochelle Community Center) in their jeans, sweats, shorts and tennis shoes. Guess I could have gone with the "casual black earrings" I laugh to myself, trying not to cry.


I get out of the car and first see Eric changing Jameson in the back of the SUV.  He's wearing jeans, and flip flops.  I look over toward the building seeing Wendy in jeans and a t-shirt.  You know those awkward Southwest Airlines commercials...."wanna get away?".....Oh, did I EVER!  I walk over to say hi.  I can see Wendy looking at me....looking at my shoes....back at me....no telling what she is thinking.  I feel like I have a flashing sign on my forehead....."Foreigner! Foreigner!  Not From Here!"  I feel like the crazy girlfriend tagging along on the family outing. The insecure girlfriend who needs the attention so she dresses to get it. I want to run over and tell this story to Wendy - tell what I was thinking.  What I was doing there in heels and jewelry and slacks. Tell her the facts I had to work with. Explain that I had lived 33 years in Dallas and that "In a museum.....dinner after....grandparents and all invited."   in Dallas meant casual but nice to me. But instead I smiled and tried to look like I didn't notice.  "Hi" and small talk were made until the guys finally made it over. I was starting to sweat. I could feel my palms and back heat up....I don't know if it was my cold or my embarrassment, but I imagine it was a little of both.  


marlborough_arts_centerEric and I talked a few minutes and Wendy and David went and did the parent thing with Evan and took photos.  He did a great job!  He made the drawing and the paper mache figure as well.  He had a room full of people there to support him and it was so fun to see him proud of his work. The room was full of school projects:  drawings, puppets, ceramics and more.  I stood at the back of the room and watched as the people passed through.  Kids were there with their parents and grandparents.  


I started to think about Nanny.  How this was just like something John and I would have done as kids.  It seemed like when something good was happening for us, we always had more than just our parents there to support us. Nanny and Popaw were usually right there too. I was sad standing there for a minute thinking about all she had meant to my childhood.  What a GREAT Nanny she had been. She would have just loved Evan. I stood there for a second imagining if Evan had been at Nanny’s at Christmas time.  They would have made each other laugh! I felt myself start to tear up.  I quickly looked away and focused on a water color tree.  The last thing I needed was to be the over dressed, crazy, out-of-place girlfriend CRYING (even if it was for a sweet reason).   I pulled it together right quick. Eventually Eric and David made their way over corner and waited for Wendy and her Mom to finish seeing all the projects.   


We congratulated Evan again on the way out and were back in the car and on the way home 20 minutes later.  David dropped me off at the apartment.  I got in the car and went to the store and bought some chicken soup for dinner.  Not really sure what happened to dinner. Didn’t ask. I came home and washed my face. Put on my pink flannels and crawled back into bed hoping a good day of rest would help me feel better.  I smiled to myself thinking over the “events” of the day…..it really was a good Batman!




4th_grade_table

Comments

Jayme said…
I say it's better to be stylish during any occasion :) Hope you're feeling better!
kimsingleton said…
Yes, but you are from Dallas! ;)
wendy said…
Okay. for the record... my thoughts were......"why does she always look SO good and I always look like cr&*(#@!" ???!!!? I should probably do something about that :-) Honestly, you are such a good sport for showing up after the week you've had! David and details?!? Well....
jenny said…
That IS a good Batman! I am sorry you were sick, I hope you are feeling better. You are a very good girlfriend, Nanny would be proud of your kid dedication. :)

Popular Posts