I'll Take The Cannoli!

pastry14Before I moved to Connecticut, I would have told you that my least favorite type of food was Italian.  I would always say "I can make spaghetti at home for much cheaper and it tastes the same as the restaurant. Since most of my Italian experience was Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill, I thought I was right. The pre-made refrigerator pasta is just as good. Add some garlic and herbs to a jar sauce and Ta-Da! But that has ALL CHANGED since I moved. I have developed an appreciation for Italian cooking. I think that Mexican food will always be my favorite, of course, but Italian is now running a close second.


 


When you go to the grocery stores here (even the small ones), they have fresh ground sausages (sweet and spicy, in casings and not, dried and cured), all sorts of peppers and oils and sauces. There are fresh mozzarella pins and all kinds of parmesan! The bread is crusty on the outside and soft inside - full of roasted garlic and olives. What the stores lack in salsas, tortillas and brisket, they make up for ten fold on the Italian aisles.  And the restaurants....oh my…..to die for.  One of my favorite food finds, rivaled only by the cheap lobster, is the authentic cannoli. I am convinced that the best cannoli in this country is made right down the road from where I work at Mozzicato DePasquale Bakery and Pastry Shop (http://www.mozzicatobakery.com). I work near Franklin Street, in “Little Italy Hartford style”, where there are shops, bakeries, markets and restaurants galore. There are two dueling bakeries (Mozzicato and Modern) and people seem to have their favorites.  At work we have an account with Mozzicato, so all our birthday cakes and ordered-in items come from there.  Occasionally I am sent to go and pick up the sweets.  Today was one such day.


 


It's a small unassuming place. There are large wedding cakes and flowers in the front windog_story2ws that seem to call you in from the street when you drive by. You have to drive around, park in the back and walk back around to the front door. As soon as you open the door, it smells AMAZING…all things baked, iced, sprinkled and glazed. There's always a line, so you can’t go there thinking you’ll be in and out in a hurry.  It's a small family owned and operated place. The people behind the counter are running around, handing out free cookies to the kids, speaking (occasionally yelling) in Italian. There are cases and cases of cookies, candies, pastries, and even pizza that wrap from one side to the other and keep your eyes busy while you wait.  


 


When it’s finally my turn, I order the cannolis (6 ricotta & 6 chocolate). Then I step back to wait again. The reason these cannolis are so perfect? They are so good because the perfectly nutty, oh-so-thin, flaky, crunchy, crispy, sweet shell is filled fresh when you order them. This gives you the perfect crunch outside and the creamy inside.  The chocolates are sprinkled with pistachios and the ricotta are served with a maraschino cherry on each end.  Both g_story_interiorabsolutely perfect! It’s hard to decide…but I think I like the ricotta the best.  I don't get them very often, so they are such a treat!  We usually cut them in half so you get a half of both types.  They are so rich, but SO GOOD!  If you are ever up here, I'll take you on a Hartford tour and  we can have lunch at the deli and dessert at Mozzicato. I  am telling you....these things give new meaning to "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli..."

Comments

Popular Posts