My First Broadway Musical

guys-and-dols-website
For my birthday on Saturday, David had a wonderful gift for me ~ He took me to New York to see my very first Broadway musical: Guys and Dolls.  You can’t imagine how much fun I had!  Growing up watching the old musicals on TV, seeing the new ones at the movies and occasionally getting to go to the Dallas Summer Musicals to see a live performance - loving every minute of it! I finally made it to BROADWAY! I was so excited.
David came by and picked me up at 8:00 on Saturday morning. I was running behind as usual. I got down to the car (head in rollers, of course) and David said “Do you have everything?” "Yes”, I said. “Earmuffs?” “No.”  “GPS?”  “No.” "Can I run back up?" I asked. I grabbed those items and a few more that I had also forgotten and climbed back in the car, arms loaded down. By 8:15 we were off and running.  First stop….Starbucks in Glastonbury.  Second stop…..gas.  Almost 9:00, and NOW we were up and running.  Off to MTA Metro-North in New Haven to catch the train.  The train is only about an hour and a half trip.  You get your tickets at the station and walk through these long, low metal-plated tunnels to the outside rails. It feels like you are in a Star Wars movie. 'Luke, I'm your father' I say in my head every time I go through it. The platform was already pretty full when we got there. We waited and hopped aboard grabbing a seat next to the most obnoxious lady on the train. We did our best to tune her out. It wasn't easy.
Since we weren't sure about the weather, or if we'd both be healthy, David hadn't purchased tickets. We were going to the same-day discount booth in Time Square to wait for tickets under the red steps. David's friend had given him a booklet with a map and little about each show. I looked through that on the train ride over.  I flipped to a page that had the Guys and Dolls Playbill cover and then I read the article. It had just opened March 1st, so I was sure there would not be any tickets for that one. I wanted to read about it anyway.  I stared at the photo and noticed there were other people that I recognized in the photo other than Oliver Platt......the Mom from Gilmore Girls......was that the boxer from Cinderella Man??  I read on. It was! It was! Oh boy......"I'd give anything to see that one," I told David. "Maybe we can get tickets another time and come back and see it?" I REALLY wanted to see this one.  I had to keep myself in check....couldn't get my heart set on one show. It was a gamble....you never knew what would be available and it just started two weeks ago.  But  I REALLY wanted to see Guys and Dolls.
father-duffy-square2
You had to stand in line to get tickets at Father Duffy Square behind the red steps.  The matinee tickets are on sale 10-2 and the evening are from 3-8.  As we walked up to the steps, we saw him:  The Naked Cowboy.  It was in the high 40's wind blowing - chilly - but not freezing in my undershirt, shirt, light jacket, heavy coat and earmufffs.  There he was in hat and underwear smiling and taking photos. I don't know how he stands it.  But he's quite the celebrity.  There was a huge crowd gathered around him, so we had to join in.  
cowboy3
cowboy2

When we got to the ticket window they had tickets for Guy and Dolls at 2:00pm at 20% off.  I was so excited.  I couldn't believe it was an option!  We got to the window and the seats were $108 and they were not sitting together.  We decided to wait and try again.  For about 15 minutes after that I was on a high....the thrill of almost seeing a Broadway show was so fun!  Knowing that Guys and Dolls was an option afterall and that I almost got to see it....I just kept telling David "That was SO FUN!  Even if we don't go see a show, it's okay. I had so much fun just then." 
The evening tickets were sold at 3:00, so at 1:45 we got in line.  The board read that there were Guys and Dolls tickets at 8:00 at 50% off! There were about 7-10 people in front of us.  I crossed my fingers.  We waited and waited. Time goes fast, as people watching in New York is unlike anywhere else.  About 2:20 David ran across the street to get us some Starbucks to keep us warm.  Just then I got a phone call. It was Mom's cell. I picked up and heard Abigail's voice!  So fun to talk to her.  I felt bad because with the wind and the crowd, I could barely hear her.  But fun to hear that she was at Nonnie's having ice cream and cake for my birthday!  David came back with lattes and we waited some more.  FINALLY it was 3:00, the gates opened and we rushed to the counter.  They had tickets!  Rear Mezzanine Row LL.  We were in.  I was so excited!  I couldn't believe I was going to Broadway .... to see a musical .... with famous people.  ha.  YEAH!
in-line-waiting-for-tickets
It was at the Nederlander Theatre, so we headed that way to make sure we knew where were it was (and really so I could take a few photos): 
guys-and-dols-theatre3

guys-and-dols-theatre2-copy1
I had butterflies as we got closer to the theatre that night. The sounds, smells, lights and life of Times Square and Broadway is just amazing anyway.  I think if you lived there, you'd live in a state of constant excitement.  But to be on the way to a show, was just the best feeling ever.  I couldn't wait.  We walked in and up the stairs to find out seats. With Playbill in hand we headed to Row LL.  The theatre is not very big and the seats are on a pretty steady incline to the top.  There is no wasted space. If you think airline seats are cramped, you wouldn't believe these.  David and I were stuffed in side to side and foot room......forget about it.  You can't cross your legs ~ you can't "angle them" out.  You have to sit like the first day of typing class and the  back of the chair in front  of you is touching your knees.  Huh....I thought....not what I was expecting.  I look at the stage. It's empty except for a wire with lights on it shaped like dice - almost like yard Christmas art - Vegas style.  Huh.....I thought that Broadway had big sets and lavish designs.....not what I was expecting.   Oh well, story of my life.....too high expectations....you build something up in your head and it never matches up.  I sort of wiggle in my chair, but nothing really moves - there's not room. I look over at tall David legs squished up to his neck in his seat.....guess I have no room to complain. 

8:00 the lights go down.  The yard art magically rolls away.  The music starts and the back of the stage lights up the musicians.  It reminds David of Hollywood squares.  The medley begins..."Luck Be A Lady...Guys And Dolls...A Bushel And A Peck...."  Then the curtain drops, the people and props start moving in and out, on and off the stage.  The sound is amazing.  I was mesmerized.  I remember noticing about half way through the first act that I was half way out of my chair, hands on my knees - I'm sure eyes big as saucers.  I try to lean back, but I just can't.  It's like I'm watching Troy in the Superbowl - hanging on every note....every step...every costume and prop.  I've never seen anything like it.   The first act is over and I can't believe it.  It felt like 10 minutes. 

I decided we needed to get up and walk around.  After the lights came up, I remembered that we were sitting in chairs for 2nd graders.  I guess everyone else did too, because the aisles and lobby filled up quickly and you couldn't go anywhere except where the mass was going.  I decided to go to the ladies room (just in case).  That was quite the experience  (I sure do miss sweet southern ladies in times like those. I'll leave it at that.)  I make it back to my seat a little frazzled and then the lights go out and the magic begins again:  Act Two.  Hands down, the hit of the night was "Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat".  The audience went crazy.   

group1
To say I had a fantastic time would be quite an understatement.  It was by far the most exciting thing that I have done since I have been living here. I've had fun up here - don't get me wrong. I've been to charming festivals and quaint spots.  I've seen beautiful scenery, shopped in some clever stores and had good meals......but as far as life and excitement and energy and ALL OUT FUN,  Broadway is everything I hoped that it would be and more!  New York for that matter.....the shopping on 5th Avenue, all the restaurants - big and small, the street vendors, Time Square, the museums and art, the people, the pace...it's addicting. I am already anticipating my next trip.  Needless to say, it was a great birthday!

Comments

jenny said…
That sounds like an amazing experience! I had no idea the mom from Gilmore girls knew how to sing. :)
Jayme said…
I loved reading every single word of this! You had SUCH a good time and I felt like I was there with you...how I hope to do all the things you're doing one day :) I hope you had a wonderful birthday - I thought of you all day!
Kim House said…
What a great trip!! I'm so glad you had such a fabulous birthday!
betty said…
I'm glad you were having such a wonderful experience when I tried to call to wish you happy birthday. I'm so happy for you to get to see Broadway!!!!!!!
Matthew said…
How fun. Do you get to go to NYC very much? So jealous.

Popular Posts