Thank You.

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."    - Jane Austen

I grew up loving mail....letters in particular. As a small child, I loved holiday cards. I can still remembeil_430xn_58236786r those "fuzzy bunny" cards that came from Nanny at Easter time with my name on the over-sized pink envelope  just for me.  Then, for as long as I can remember, I corresponded with Grandmommy through letters.....starting as a little girl complaining to her that Mom was making me do my chores to years later pouring out thoughts and ideas and opinions to a "safe place" in the best way I knew how....writing. As a teenager, I remember reading classics where tragic characters, torn by love, wrote letters from afar (whether the handsome hero was away at war or just "back east") and watching old movies with women in elaborate dresses rip open a letter that came not a day too soon with elating or devastating news. Deaths, births, even proposals came by mail. Letters were not only fun, but romantic......and often dramatic.

Over the course of the years, I fell in love with letters - both writing and reading. Now as an adult, my letter writing has morphed into something of a more modern nature.  As society has moved from Philadelphia Story to You've Got Mail, so have I.  Now it's a world of emails and blogging, a letter of a new sort. And while you can't appreciate the scent or feel of quality stationary, or feel the connection to a person by seeing their distinct handwriting, the feeling and sentiment can still come through.  Blogs and emails can reach many at once and quicker than could ever be imagined  in days past.

I suppose this is why I have so enjoyed the world of blogging.  I get to continue my tradition of letter writing, posting thoughts and feelings,  keeping you up-to-date on the goings on here in CT, in this new form.  

One thing I try to make a point to do every day, is check a regular set of blogs.  When I lived in Dallas, Jayme and I would not talk every day. In fact, most of the knowledge of our lives came from Mom and Marsha.  I have to say that over the past 6-9 months, I have become especially fond of her blog.  She is pretty faithful to her blog. She updates it several times a week, if not daily.  If I only have time to check one, I check her's.   The stories and photos and recipes, etc.  are always interesting.  I will not post her address here, as I am not sure if she wants me to give it out, but I just wanted to take today to say thank you to Jayme and all the others who take the time to blog and put their thoughts and ideas out there for others to read. I get so much enjoyment out of reading and seeing the photos.....it makes me feel like I am not missing as much as I am.

Thank you to those of you who send real mail - the cards and letters are always appreciated.  There's nothing better than opening the mailbox and seeing a colored envelope among all the bills and trash.  (Especially in the winter when  it makes the long trek to the mailbox in 20 degree weather worth the walk).  I really do appreciate it.  I've been feeling lost the last few days...like I'm losing touch with all things past and all things Texas...and communication (in whatever form) is the thing I enjoy the most when I'm feeling this way.  I just wanted to say thank you so much!

Comments

Jayme said…
I check your blog often too. You're living a dream for me. Up north, snow, Broadway, LOBSTER ;) I love all your pictures you post. BUT - I do miss you tons! It's just not the same to plan a party without you here :)
kimsingleton said…
Awww.....parties! ;) I hope you have a good one this next weekend. Can't wait to see the photos!!

Popular Posts