Trip to Texas

Excited doesn't really describe how I felt when I woke up on Friday morning.....I was going back to Texas!  I couldn't wait. I got up, packed and headed to work.  I fiddled in my chair until 2:00 (they let us go a little early for the holiday). My plane wasn't boarding until 5:40, so I had some time to kill.  I decided to attempt another nail salon.  I was in a great mood.....what could go wrong.  (If you haven't read my "Angry Eyebrows" blog, this may not make as much sense.) It's tough grooming around these parts....I haven't found my places yet....there's a GREAT nail place in Glastonbury that I really like, but it's quite expensive and frankly, I just can't afford the luxury. So, for a lower price, I can go near work and that's good enough for now.  I walk in to the usual "pick a color".

I must take a minute to note here, I realize that the classic pink and white simple manicure is the style. If I was about "class" and "fashion" and what not, I'd go that way. But one of the things that I like best about getting older is I don't seem to care so much anymore about things like that.  Frankly, I like my loud, painted red or pink nails. Always have. I make no excuse for it. Perhaps it's because I wear black and white almost everyday....I like the color.  So, I pick a bright pink that matches my already pink toes (from the previous pedicure adventure).  I sit down in the chair.

"You want this color?"  the lady asks me.  "Yes." I say....."that's why I chose it when you asked me to pick a color" I think.  People's Court is on the tv....I can't believe that's still on.  Who watches this stuff??  "How long" the lady asks.  "Short", I say.  "Very short."  "You want short?" she asks with a snarled lip.  "Yes." I say....."that's why I said short when you asked me how long" I think. I sit through the process....I don't really like to get my finger nails done.  The pedicure is a treat, but I HATE sitting still in that chair while they drill and file and buff.  She finishes up my nails. I get up to wash. I notice that Ellen is on now and I never get to see her show as I am at work....she cracks me up!  I sit back down and she starts to paint.  Then she asks me a question and I heard "Do you want a flower on your ring finger?"  "Okay," I said. I've had them do that before in the summer and it's kinda cute and fun for a few days. Again, I realize it's a little childish, but it's summer! Plus, I'm going to see my 4 year-old niece and the pink nails are for her anyway.  She might think the flower is cute. "Sure," I confirm.

I go back to watching Ellen..... I look down and see this on my hands:
 nail
I smile and say "Oh how pretty...thank you".  I think "I have a plane in an hour....what am I going to do now! I have to go to Texas with THESE nails!" (It's hard to see, but there's SILVER nail polish in there with the white! I mean.....it's TACKY!) I pay and walk out again wallet lighter and not what I wanted.  I got my bright pink...oh and so much more! Maybe it's worth the expense......next time back to Glastonbury!

I take off for the airport and hang out for a half hour or so.  Then we board. I have an aisle seat way in the back. I am one of the first to board.  I went with just a carry-on this trip, so I throw my bag up in the overhead and settle in.  I brought an ipod with me that David gave me for times like these.  I sit down ready to listen....Lyle Lovett Live in Texas....perfect!  About two songs in the ipod dies.  I've had this trouble before....I guess it turns on in my purse or the battery is shot....not sure, but either way, no ipod.  I hope the movie's a good one.

Everyone piles in one at a time looking for a place to store their valuables, buckling up, anticipating take off.  The row of three in front of me is three college age boys in t-shirts and ball caps.  Next to me, a Middle Eastern looking couple.  They are not speaking to each other in English. On the right, a lady with her daughter...son and father sitting several rows ahead. Next walks in a lady (I'd say early 40's) in a pair of jean shorts, white tank top with white bra underneath.  (I know this because it's glaring white and obviously see-through.  Her chest is not 40 years old).  She has terribly stringy bleached hair - cheap Kelli Pickler blonde.  She sits down one row behind me and to the side.   The college boys take turns looking back at her.  I can't help but laugh.

Finally take-off. The movie is Last Chance Harvey with Dustin Hoffman, so I settle in to watch. I found it depressing.  About half-way to three-quarters through I notice there are several people turning to look at the back of the plane.  The college boys keep turning around. What's going on?  I turn to look as well.  There's a crowd of people (about 4-6 or so) in the aisle.  I can't see anything but backsides. I take out my headphones in hope to hear what's going on.  More people start to turn around and there's lots of chattering.  I try to listen to as many conversations as I can without joining in.  From what I gathered, someone had fallen and couldn't get up.  Just then the flight attendant came on over the speaker.  "Is there an MD on the plane?  We're experiencing a medical emergency."  I hear a shriek from behind me. I turn to find the blonde in the tank is crying big crocodile tears.  She's having a break-down right in the seat behind me.  It's not her husband, not a boyfriend, not an acquaintance that she's gotten to know while sitting on the plane for 2 hours.  Nope, complete stranger to her and she's having a melt-down. I mean, really?  I think my theory that hair bleach kills brain cells is dead on.  How much attention does one human being need?  There's someone on the floor of a plane and she's making about her?  Wow.......she's starting to make a little more sense. I mean, clearly the need for attention didn't stop with just the outfit! 

"We have a physician’s assistant, but we need an MD.  Is there an MD on the plane willing to help us?  We are having a medical emergency at the back of the plane.  Would everyone please keep their seats".  The voice through the speaker is calm and clear.  Her training has kicked in and she sounds quite capable of handling the crowd.  Wonder if she thought when she got up this morning she'd be saying more than "Would you please return your seat and tray-table to its up-right position?"  Here she comes down the aisle with an older gentleman following behind her.  She  has a large blue bag under each arm.  As she passes me I notice they are labeled "Emergency Kit" in big white letters.  They look like fake kits....like they should say "Acme Emergency Kit" in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

The whole event took about 20 minutes tops.  There I am sandwiched between the half-drunk frat boys, the foreign speaking couple and the crying bimbo thinking......"Are we going to land early?  What if he dies?  What's happening?"  He's a few feet away and I can't see a thing for the crowd.  By the time everyone clears, the man has already been seated in the back and I don't even know who he was.  I hear the MD tell the flight attendant that he's stable as they are walking back to the front of the cabin. Drama over I turn back and watch the last few minutes of the movie.

Mom and Dad were waiting at baggage claim.  SO GOOD TO BE IN TEXAS! :)  We had dinner at Cantina Laredo and then home to settle in for the night.  Saturday will be a big day.....I get to see the kids!  Grandmommy is driving in.  Aunt Mary and Uncle Bill and Haley will be over.  John and Jenny are coming....oh and I GET TO SEE THE KIDS!  I can't wait.  We had a BBQ with hamburgers and hotdogs, potato salad and homemade ice cream.  Mom let me run around the kitchen and set things up to my heart's content.  It was a fun day playing and visiting and catching up.

That afternoon or so we decided to go for a walk.  It was cloudy, but we'd all been cooped up in the house and wanted to get out.  John and I took Will and Abigail down the street heading to the park.  We were visiting and watching the kids play and about a block down the street I said "Oh no......I feel a sprinkle!"  Abigail still wanted  to go to the park. John said it was fine and we shouldn't worry about it.  About 2 minutes later it started to really sprinkle.  We ducked under a tree to wait it out.  John thought we could outsmarted the rain under this giant tree.  It worked for a while.  We waited under the tree huddled all together waiting for it to pass. It looked like it was going to pass over. There was really only one ominous looking cloud and we were right under it.  And then it started to pour.  The tree was saturated and our hiding place was gone.  We were all soaked. Next thing we know Dad's car drives by at about 30mph......he's gone looking for us, but has completely missed us.  He must have thought we were already to the park.  He wasn't going slow enough to really be looking.  Maybe he'll circle back. We waited.  Will and Abigail didn't cry. They hung in there like little troopers.  It was getting a little  ridiculous now.  No signs of letting up.  We decided to walk home...the clouds were rolling in. We were drenched by the time we all piled in the entry way.

Starting Out (I love this photo!):

the walk

Heading Back:

will in rain

Brother and Sister:

232323232%7Ffp43374%3Enu%3D3246%3E%3A64%3E%3B6%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3236%3B576%3C8324nu0mrj

She's even cute soaking wet:

gf

About 15-20 minutes later the rain stopped and didn't rain again that day....we'd caught the sweet spot! Figures.

After games and conversation and lots and lots of food, we turned in.  It was a good day!  I just wish they weren't so few and far between.

Fried-Green-tomato-sandwichSunday we had church in the morning and then Mom and I headed out for a  little time to ourselves - something we hadn't had in about a year now.  We had brunch at Hattie's......and it was SO GOOD!  If you haven't been, it's in the Bishop Arts District.  It's a little tiny place, and the food is EXCELLENT!  http://www.hatties.net/  Mom had the fried green tomato sandwich and I had chicken and waffles.  To die for!  Fresh squeezed orange juice and the best mac and cheese I've ever had in my life........DELICIOUS!  If you haven't been there....PLEASE do yourself a favor and make a reservation today! You won't be disappointed. It's southern food at it's finest!

Then (being terrified of salons here in CT) Mom and I decided to get our hair cut. So, off to Tony & Guy.  I chopped off about 8-10 inches and feel lighter and ready for the summer!  My hair was getting way too Little House on the Prairie!

FRONT

The day went too fast.....before we knew it it was Luna on the patio and then home to crawl in bed.  It was SO NICE to be home.  I had a best time.  It usually takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things here.  The plane ride home was less eventful and I was in the car before I knew it.  I listened to Montgomery Gentry all the way home.....the only thing I could listen to to keep my spirits up.  I felt like crying, but yet didn't really feel like going there.  I was too tired to get too down.  I sang all the way home.  It was sunny and 75 when I got in the car.  Moon roof open....the breeze felt great.  It was nice to be home too.  Bittersweet trips...they always are and probably always will be.  I can't wait for the next trip!

Being Silly:

being sillty

Three Generations:

3 generations

Coloring with Grandmommy:

coloring with gar

Chicken and Waffles:

hatties

Moonsand:

moonsand

Comments

jenny said…
We had a wonderful time with you. Thank you so much for coming to visit, name the date you are coming again and we will be there with bells on. We always have an awesome time when Aunt Kimmy is in town!! :)
jenny said…
OH! P.S. - Your new haircut looks FABULOUS! (Thank goodness you went ahead and did it here in Dallas.... Although I'm sure it would have made another very entertaining blog. hahah!!)
Jayme said…
oh I wish I could have seen you - but look at your schedule...packed :) What a cute haircut and I love the 3 generations picture!

Popular Posts