Rock On Grandmommy!

This past week I was sitting at my desk at work and I checked my personal email, as I occasionally do when it gets slow.  One of the emails from Facebook was a request to be friends with Betty Jo!  I looked again......yep...that's what it said.  My 73-year-old grandmommy had joined Facebook!  Nice!  Last night driving home,  I was thinking about it again, giggling to myself, and I started to remember other times that Grandmommy had surprised me with her "young at heart" attitude.   I spent the rest of the twenty-five mile drive home from work laughing to myself and thinking  whatta cool Grandma!

When I first got my driver's license, Mom had a pretty tight hold on where I went and when.  One thing she always let me do was make the the 4-5 hour trip to Brady, TX to visit Grandmommy.  Sometimes we'd both drive in half-way and meet in Stephenville and have lunch and do some big shopping at the Dollar Store or the local Wal-Mart. It was a chance for the two of us to catch up in person,  and it was also a little taste of "grown-up freedom" for me.  I always looked forward to the drive to and from and the visit in between.  The first time I remember Grandmommy really surprising me was on such a visit.  We had lunch and then off to Wal-Mart.  I think Grandmommy had a new car on this particular trip, because we parked way far out on the end of the parking lot (so no one would bang her car door).  It was cloudy, but not raining.  Forget the malls and department stores.....Grandmommy and I can spend hours in a grocery store, a resale shop, and just as long in a big Wal-Mart.....I think we like the bargains!   So, I'm sure we wandered around for quite some time, visiting all the way.  By the time we wheeled out our cart, it was pouring cats and dogs.  Thunder, lightening, big giant drops of water, a real Texas storm.  I looked at Grandmommy....she looked at me.  She smiled.  There was no discussion about what to do...should we go back inside...should someone go get the car.  No hem-hawing around. I remember so vividly her saying "Come on" and she took off running to the car just like that.  Pushing the cart and laughing all the way.  I took off after her and we ran the length of the parking lot like two teenage girls out the car.  We loaded the trunk, jumped in and laughed, soaking wet, for another fifteen minutes.  I remember thinking then, "Wow! My old Grandma just ran the parking lot in the pouring rain!"  ;)  It's funny looking back now because she was only in her 50's at the time. But I guess at 16, the 50's are "so old".

I think the older Grandmommy gets, the younger at heart she gets! In the last several years, Grandmommy bought the silly hats, the crazy photos and the giant balloons at the Goat Cook-off.  Took off to foreign lands on her first airplane trip, took bus trips with friends and rode across the country in a couple of days. She's embraced email, the internet, digital cameras and now Facebook. I think it's great!

See ya soon, Grandmommy....love you....can't wait to go for pedicures! You're one cool Grandma! I'm lucky to have you! ;)

Comments

Jayme said…
AWWW yay for Betty! Now she needs to add me to FB too!
betty said…
Thatmademe feel so good. You know you mean the world to me. You got me thinking about some of our visits. Let the good times roll.Can hardly wait to see you.
kimberly said…
Can't wait to see you...won't be long!!
Nancy said…
Hi Kimberly! I am so glad you continued with your blogs. What a nice tribute to your grandmother. Love, Mom O

Popular Posts