A New England Holiday

Well, I have to start off and apologize for falling down on the job. I didn't get one single solitary photo this long weekend.  Sorry!  Too busy having a nice time I suppose.  So, here's the skinny on the weekend. I'll keep it brief as there are no visuals.   

David and I went up on Thursday morning.  We arrived in New Hampshire by lunch.  While most of you were eating  turkey and dressing, we had quiche and acorn squash. :) Not the "typical" Thanksgiving meal I was used to, but we were waiting until Friday when David's brother, Jay, and kids were there.  Nancy and I took a walk. Then we went over to the Oakes' friends for dessert and David had them put the Cowboys game on, so we could keep tabs on the score. Back home and after visiting, off to bed.  It was a very different kind of Thanksgiving Day for me.  Quiet, peaceful, calm.  No work in the kitchen. Very relaxing.

Friday Jay came in with Mason (9), Brandon (11), Kayla (13) and Tyler (16).  Nancy made a feast. She went ahead and made a turkey breast (which made everyone happy).  No legs or wings though...the breast looked less like a bird she explained.  There was butternut squash, stuffing, salad, mashed potatoes and gravy.  She made everyone's favorite type of cookie for dessert:  the magic bars and crackle tops and rice crispie treats.....etc.  Very good and a lot of work that she did all herself.  Quite a feat feeding us all for three days.

The rest of the weekend was game playing, walking, eating, shopping, and visiting. The kids had a fun time walking in the woods and "exploring".  We played monopoly and cards.  Friday we went to Wal-Mart to find a new tv for George and Nancy.  Nothing that suited them. Back home empty-handed.  Nancy and I took the kids to the park and a little local craft fair in town.  The guys went into Keene on Saturday and David came back with a ridiculously over-sized tv that was just "too good to pass up".  We went and cut down a Christmas tree for the Oakes' porch.  And toured a factory where they made yard from the raw sheep's wool.  It was truly a very New England holiday - my first one.

David's family is always so nice to include me in their festivities.  I am always appreciative of their hospitality.

Comments

Popular Posts