Black-eyed Peas & Cornbread!

Every Southerner knows that you have to have a plate of black-eyed peas and cornbread on New Year's Day for good luck - no question about it.  Most Texas women I know have their own special recipe.  I always ate Mom's, so last year I was forced to find my own.  I found a really good recipe and it turned out great.  Thought I'd pass it on.  I soak my beans in cold water overnight, but you can pour boiling water over them and soak for hour if you forget to put them out the night before.  Thick sweet cakey cornbread?  Flat jalapeno cheesey cornbread with a crusty top?   That's the real question!  But whatever you do, don't forget to put a little oil in your cast-iron and put it in the oven while it pre-heats.  Then it will sizzle when you pour in the batter and make that crunchy brown crust on the bottom. De-lish!







Big Pot of Black-eyed Peas for New Years Day!
(Stolen from The Homesick Texan)

  • 1 pound dried black-eyed peas

  • 4 cups water

  • 1/2 pound bacon, chopped

  • 1/4 cup bacon drippings

  • 1 large onion, chopped

  • 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes, such as Rotel, drained

  • 4 garlic cloves, minced

  • 3 jalapenos (pickled or fresh), chopped

  • 2 teaspoons chili powder

  • Salt and pepper to taste


Wash and pick over peas. In a large pot, mix peas with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add all other ingredients and simmer, covered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas are tender.

Comments

betty said…
i'M GOING TO TRY THAT RECIPE.

Popular Posts