35 Things I've Learned in 35 Years

I have been thinking a lot about turning 35 this month.....where I am, where I've been and where I'm going. I started thinking about all the things I've learned in the last 35 years: both serious and light-hearted. And since I love a list, I thought I'd share a few of them....35 of them to be exact.
  1. A venti Starbucks is not an equivalent substitute for a good night's sleep.
  2. Charades is really pretty fun.
  3. You cannot make someone love you.
  4. I'll eat just about anything...once.
  5. Good parents are about the biggest blessing you can have - from your earliest memories and throughout your life - they make such an impact on who you are. Bad parents are about the hardest thing in life to overcome.
  6. If you find a good mascara, it's worth whatever it costs.
  7. Sometimes you just need a big 'ol piece of chocolate cake.
  8. Know who you are. Believe who you are. Live who you are.
  9. There are good and bad politicians: whether they are Republican or Democrat.
  10. There is nothing in my life that can replace the feeling of being with my family...it's a uniquely comforting feeling, a feeling of belonging unlike any other.
  11. Jesus is the answer. And I don't mean that in a trite bumper sticker kind of way.
  12. Marriage is hard, but stick it out. Divorce is harder. I have the scars to prove it.
  13. You don't have to answer your phone just because it rings.
  14. A family's Christmas tree says a lot about the family.
  15. Hondas rock.
  16. I would rather plan a party than go to one.
  17. You're never too old to sit down with a coloring book and crayons.
  18. Being "truly authentic" is so much harder than it sounds. It takes a lot of work.
  19. Having a bad memory can really be a blessing.
  20. My biggest pet peeve in life is undoubtedly swearing. I can't stand it!
  21. You can take the girl out of Dallas, but you can't take Dallas out of the girl.
  22. My greatest joy in life is being around little children. I am constantly amazed by their sense of wonder, honesty, silliness, resilience and love.
  23. I love a road trip. Especially when there's something good to listen to and a really good meal along the way.
  24. I should have taken more photos in my 20's.
  25. People-pleasers are almost always stressed-out.
  26. Your whole life can change in an instant: I find that both really comforting and really scary!
  27. The 75 cent generic box of dried spaghetti tastes just like the $5 box of "imported" dried spaghetti. And neither taste as good as fresh.
  28. God has put so many really amazing people around me throughout my life. I've been extra blessed in that way and am so grateful for each and every one of them. The older I get, the more this means to me. (Perhaps being away from a lot of them is a key to that as well.)
  29. Sometimes all you have the strength to do is the "next right thing" and that's okay.
  30. There is a lot of truth in the movie Steel Magnolias.
  31. My name is Kimberly and I am a drama queen, especially when I'm tired. Admitting it is the first step.
  32. I will gladly pay ridiculous amounts of money for a fine dining experience and cringe every time I see the number when I fill up my car with gas.
  33. It's okay to be an introvert. Not everyone can be the life of the party.
  34. A giant, genuine grin has a lot of power. Everyone should smile more.
  35. 35 is not nearly as old as it used to seem! ;)

Comments

betty said…
I can relate to an awful lot on your list but it took me twice as long to learn it.
Bill Moore said…
I love the list. Especially #35 (and from a 62+ year view, at that). You and Mary are soooo #4! You and I are very # 13, 7 & 10 (have I said, "I miss you" and "I love you" lately? Yes, you are # 21, but be Proud when you say it! And you are all 35 of them and that's what makes you Kimmie (another name for "Special."

Popular Posts