Bill, I Love You 'Cause...

What's the saying.....Behind every great man is a great woman?  Yes, while this is true in your case, ;) it also makes me think this:  behind the great relationship Mary & Kimmy have, is a great support, Bill.

Bill is Mary's husband.  Mary's is my mom's sister and my dear aunt.  Sometimes I feel like Mary loves me more than anyone on earth - ha - and would no matter what I did. But I am fully aware that that very love has continued to grow because of the love and support of her husband, my Uncle Bill. 

Bill, I will be the first to admit that I have no idea how many times that Mary has come to you and said, "I want to take Kimmy _____" or "Can we include Kimmy in ______" or "Do you mind if I ______" or "buy Kimmy ______?"  And how many times you've said "yes" when you could have said "no" or "that makes things more complicated" or "more expensive".    How many times you said "Sure!" when you could have just rolled your eyes. Thank you for the support, for giving me the opportunities and experiences that you did.  My relationships with all your family would have been so different if it was not for your encouragement and support.  Please know that I realize that and I am so grateful and thankful to you for that.

I love the story you tell of the first time that Mary left me with you to wait in the car.  There I was in a car seat, no bigger than a minute  - eyes wide open like saucers - stiff as a board - staring a hole in you - most likely scared to death - but not daring to let you see me cry.  You said you knew you liked me then.  From the days I was just a baby and you and Mary were dating until now, you have constantly supported our relationship. You've been there from the beginning and have loved me and supported me all the way. I wasn't just "Mary's family", I was yours as well.

One of my favorite memories of you growing up was bedtime.  I remember little Haley and I climbing into bed and you and Mary would come in after tucking in Matt and tickle us and hug us and tell us you loved us.  You'd tell us stories and made sure we had our animals. I always like staying over and getting that special attention. I always felt so loved.

As I got older you watched the boys I dated.  Gave me advice.  You made time to sit and talk with me at lunches and dinners. I flinch to think how many Chili's turkey sandwiches and California Pizza Kitchen salads you've bought me over the years! You asked me about work and life.  You were really one of the first people to start to see me as an adult and treated me in an adult way....you spent time talking and getting to know me....all the while giving way to Mary and the time she wanted with me. You let her be first, if that makes sense.  

You were such a support for me when I first announced that I was really considering moving to Connecticut.  You were an encouragement and a positive word when I was scared to death.  You were a rational, solid voice amongst all the emotion.  I am so thankful for your support and your encouragement.

I stopped to read what I had written so far and noticed I used the words support and encouragement over and over.  This is what you have been to me in my life. At times, in the distance, a quiet support.  Other times a very vocal and in-your-face encouragement.  And I love you for that. Thank you for that.  I know that you are always there and I could call you tomorrow for help and you'd do anything you could to help me out.  Thank you, I love you, Bill!

Comments

kimberly2010 said…
Dear Kimmie, To say "Thank you" for this, is to use two words that are totally insufficient. I am actually overwhelmed. You also know me well enough to know that tears are streaming down my cheeks right now. You are right, in that I have stayed in the background to let Mary be first, and I can not express to you how hard (actually very difficult), that has been over the years. You mentioned above about my favorite story of when you were a baby left with me in the car. I need to correct one part. You recalled me saying that was when I knew that I liked you. Actually, when "I" tell that story, I always say it was at that time that I "fell in love" with you and that has never changed. And you need to include me with Mary as one who will always love you unconditionally. I always say that Mary loved you because she had to ;-) , but I love you because I chose YOU to love. Watching you grow up has been a joy. Do you remember how I always introduced you for 2/3's of your life? I would say, "...and this is my daughter from my first marriage." I think that only stopped after you were introduced that way at a church where I had been a deacon and it caused a few jaws to drop (that was actually funny). I've always said that because I would have been so proud had you been my daughter and that pride in you has never wavered or lessened. It has only increased. You are so talented, smart, imaginative and giving, that in my mind, you can do anything - and no one can make me think differently (not even you, on days you're unsure of yourself).
I am very moved that you recognized that I have wanted to support and encourage you. That is 110% true now and always will be.
I do so love you, Precious. From that saucer-eyed baby to now and forever. I do miss you. I miss most of all the times you have sat by me and put your head on my shoulder. I can even tell you the last time and when and where that happened. Yes, it means that much.
Sweet love, thank you again for what you have said. It means more than you will ever know. Oh, I guess I should say that I am sorry for the in-your-face time and vetting your boyfriends. But then, you are my daughter by my first marriage.
I love you forever. Uncle Bill
kimberly2010 said…
Kimberly, that was wonderful. Bill, you are indeed a blessing to many. Thank you both for sharing your story with us (the readers). It is unbelievably sweet and special. :)

Popular Posts