Hey, Can I Be In Charge Of That?

Control –noun

the act or power of controlling; regulation; domination or command: Who's in control here?

I have a sick need to be in control of things. I have from childhood. I remember Jenny going home because she didn’t want to play with me anymore – “I was too bossy.” I remember ordering around the only person smaller than me – the only person who would listen and obey - my baby brother. “Go here. Stand there. Wear that. Say this. Eat that.” Over the years I’ve battled these control issues and the irony is, I’ve never been in control. But even knowing this doesn’t stop me from trying. Even now on occasion, I look at David with sad eyes and say “I just need to be in control of something.” Or “Can I be in charge of _______? I just really need to have control over something.” 

Remember the Friends episode where they planned a party for Rachel? Or should I say, Monica (with whom I identify a little too closely) planned, catered, decorated, etc. for the party. Feebie, feeling left out, wanted a job. “Something to be in charge of.” So, Monica made her in charge of ice - the simplest thing she could think of. A job with little impact. She could even have “back-up” ice in the freezer if Feebie didn’t come through. What did Feebie do? She WAS IN CHARGE OF ICE! She ran with it. She even had a snow cone machine brought in. This week I have been Feebie and I have been in charge of ice and loving it!

Our company is changing over to a new marketing scheme, a new logo, a new EVERYTHING! We are going from a small-time, New England mom and pop to the global corporate world overnight. Tonight in fact. Yes, there were negotiations and budgets, legal documents to file and IT to coordinate and oversee. There was a battle over territory and commissions, money and power. I was not involved in any of that. I was put in charge of “organized pretty”. (read here “ice”) What is that you ask? Well, it’s making sure the business cards were ordered and in the correct format, working on the website and the marketing materials. Putting together new flyers and systematically filing and organizing everything in an agent-friendly way. It’s the fluff, the pretty, the “marketing”, but I was in charge of it and I loved EVERY MINUTE of it!

Tomorrow is the end of my control. I'm turning it out on the new server - the K:/ for everyone to see, change, critize, "fix" and tweak.  My months of hard work are going into the hands of the other admin and the agents. My days of "control" are over.  It's nice to have the project finished, but to be honest, hard to lose that sense of control over all the organized pretty.  If you want to check out my office click here: Colliers.

The good news is, I should have more time to blog!  And I can be in control of that! ;)

Comments

Popular Posts