A Step Closer To Our Dream....


We've got dreams, big dreams, unrealistic, silly, never going to come true dreams. Right, I'll never be Carrie Underwood, but that's not what I'm talking about in this instance.  If you missed the recap of said dreams, you can read it by clicking here.

We bought a tortilla maker! An integral part of that whole making a living in a tortilla factory thing. David emailed me in the morning, the package had arrived! I went at lunch and bought all new ingredients per the Homesick Texan's Flour Tortilla Recipe. I didn't want mediocre results based on old baking powder or sour milk. The dough came out fine, and I let it rest and rest again. We were anxious to taste those delicious tortillas.....we heated up the grill, placed our parchment paper and started pressing and cooking. I should have paid closer attention to the recipe as they really needed to be rolled out. We pressed and pressed and came up with only discs of thick paste-like dough. The last two, I rolled out with a glass and they were better. I'm sure we'll try them again with a rolling pin - getting them as thin as they should be. The flavor wasn't bad. It was the texture that made you want to run to the nearest trash can. Dough on the inside with a crunchy exterior....yuck.

Two days later, after recovering from the first disaster, we decided to try corn. David brought home a bag of masa and I measured water, What could be easier, right? I used the Homesick Texan's Corn Tortilla Recipe. They came out much nicer! The trick is to figure out the proper heat of the pan. Too hot and they burn before they are cooked through - too cool and they don't cook through at all. You need about five or so for "testing" the heat and then figure another five or so will be wasted on the pan getting too hot. But they are easy and quick and fun and tasty and gluten free! I'm seeing brisket tacos in our very near future! I know that Central Market and Whole Foods make the flour and you can probably get better corn than we can here. But I can't see us ever buying stroe-bought corn tortillas again. They are THAT good! 

Comments

Uncle Bill said…
This really made Mary laugh! I read it to her like I think you are saying it to yourself as you write. Let me know when you cook one where the scorch marks look like a picture of Jesus. That always makes the newspapers around here.

Popular Posts