6:08pm - 7:06pm

My Dad got a wii for Christmas. It was nice for him. We have a wii. He'll enjoy it. Wii sports - bowl to your heart's content. But he also got the Mario Brothers 25th Anniversary Edition Limited Release Game!!  Now that's NICE!  There are four games including the old school 1985 version that I played as a kid. After he got it all set up, I only got to play for a quick few games. I could have played for HOURS!! We were like, "Oh yeah, I remember that! Oh yeah, wasn't there a hidden brick around here somewhere? Where was that mushroom?"  

When I got home, I told David I really wanted that game!!  He said that he would go out today and get it.  Neither of us realized just how "limited edition" it really was. I got home thinking it would be on the counter, but got a story instead. "Bad news - it's not for sell anymore. Good news - we can try to download something like it for some wii points." But I  want the 1985 OLD SCHOOL VERSION. After a few failed attempts of connecting to the Internet via the wii and a conversation that was obviously going to go around and around without end, David looked at me and said "Call your mom". 

Most of you reading this who know my Mom aren't surprised by this. In fact, you probably have your own story of her searching end over end - every store from Allen to Fort Worth to find you "just want you wanted". Her persistence is a talent - a gift. Nothing stops her - weather, time, money - the more they say "no", the more determined she is to find it. If there is a game within a days' driving distance of Allen, Texas, Mom WILL find it. And you can take that to the bank.

I called her and left a voicemail message at 6:08pm. I told her the story. "If you happen to find one in Texas, we'd love to have it. But if not, it's okay. You did good getting one for Dad......limited release meant ONE shipment and that's it!" 6:25pm I call back. "Nevermind Mom. David can download one. Don't worry."  I jump in the shower. 7:00pm David comes down. Your Mom is calling. I'll leave your phone on the chair here. 7:03pm Your Mom is calling me now. She needs us both. Get out. 7:06pm we call Mom and hear her and Haley on the other end. They have the game in hand! I think that may be a record!

Haley had put a copy of the game on deposit for $5 and decided that she didn't want it. (She had a different version of the game.) So, Mom had called her and they picked up her copy and are mailing it us. GENIUS!  

Thanks Mom! You are THE BEST! Thanks Haley for not selfishly making a generous profit on Ebay and sending it our way! ;) Thanks great State of Texas with A MILLION places to shop and hold these precious items we don't the stores to carry up here! I can't wait to get it. David will get yet another glimpse into my compulsive, obsessive side! ;)  I cant wait to play it.  Thank you! I'll let you know my high score!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What fun that was for me and for Haley. And what a nice Game Stop to hold that for her for over a month with just a five dollar deposit. Must have been meant for you all...love to impress my new son in law..love you all. mom
Anonymous said…
Connie - you are a treasure!!!
J :)
David said…
Connie, you impressed me years ago when I met Kimberly. Anyone who could make such a wonderful daughter/wife impresses me beyond believe.

PS - Thank you SO much for going out of your way to find the game for us and sending to CT! You are the BEST!!!

And a special thank you to Haley for giving it up and letting us have it!
Haley said…
Yep, it was great fun. When Connie called me to ask if I could think of any place that might have it, I laughed and was pleased as punch to be able to say that, as it happened, I had one on hold. I had been kicking myself for getting talked into it when I got my Wii (birthday present to self), since I have (as of Mar/Apr) our old, original Nintendo with the original Super Mario Bros. games (1-3) and could play it anytime I felt like it, and I had even called the store right before Christmas to release it for sale, but no one answered. Maybe it was fate! When I met Connie at the store, we were both so excited to get it -- possibly the last remaining copy anywhere, why not? -- we were beaming. It was fun to all talk via speaker-phone, and it'll be a fun memory. Have fun with it! (And don't forget to take breaks!)

Popular Posts