Tomato Soup

Sunday afternoon I made the most DELICIOUS tomato basil soup. La Madeline, move over, you've got nothin' on this soup! I started out with Rachel Ray's recipe and then did my own thing. I preheated the oven to 450. I took two heads of garlic and put them in foil packets with olive oil, salt and pepper. I halved 12 roma tomatoes and tossed them in olive oil, dried basil, salt and pepper. I roasted everything at 450 for an hour and a half. I sauteed one large, chopped, yellow onion. I put the roasted ingredients and onion in the blender with a big can of Italian sweet tomatoes, an entire big box of fresh basil, more black pepper, a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste. I blended until smooth and put the thick "starter soup" goes back in the pot. I added a box stock (chicken or veggie). I let everything simmer for 30 minutes or so. Right before serving I added a little cream, a fresh tomato in a small dice and a handful of julienned basil leaves. It was SO GOOD! No parmesan really needed (but it could definitely be added). Serve with crunchy toasts or a mini grilled cheese and you have an awesome winter lunch. It was FANTASTIC!!       

Comments

Popular Posts