Winter Blues


Winter blues.....sounds so cute doesn't it? Like a bathroom tile color. I think I'd like to go with the white sand paint and the winter blue tile please. To me it feels like it should be called "Death-Wrenchingly Cold, Depressing, Mind-Numbing, Rip Your Guts Out Season". Didn't I read once that Alaska has the highest suicide rate? I get that.

Every year I make it through. And every year I think "I'll do better next year". But the reality is, it's just cold and depressing and dreary for a few months here. No way around it. You can sun lamp and fake smile all you want, it's miserable here January - February.

I work with a darling little old man, who is 80 if he's a day. Every year after Christmas, he and his wife go to Mexico and don't come back until March. Genius! I think they have something there! They skip the snow shoveling and the harsh cold wind on your face. They trade salt and scarves in for walks on the sunny beach! I think of them often as I walk into the building. It was -4 this morning. It's going to snow again tomorrow. There's not enough cocoa in the world to make -4 seem cozy!

So, this morning I am making the conscience effort to turn my thoughts to the river, playing games on our new patio, the sunny boat trips to new sites with lobster rolls and ice cream cones. This morning I am going to let my mind drift to walks around the lake in New Hampshire, hamburgers and fresh corn on the grill.  I'll dream of all the slideshows I can create with all the fun photos....happy pictures of David and I getting out and "exploring" yet another New England town on a 75 degree day.....it's the only way to stay sane. It's the only way to cope.  Denial......acknowledge.....cope......pretend....imagine.....escape.

I'm ready for summer so these cute little "winter blues" will go away.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kimberly, cheer up. It was minus eighteen here yesterday. Makes your temperature seem like summer. Ha ha. Love, Mom O
Anonymous said…
Hey you! Have you been to Lenny and Joe's? I saw a man eating a lobster roll there a few weeks ago and thought of you! Ahhhhhh..... lobstah makes everything better ;)
Wend
Kimberly said…
Oh yeah! A guy at work told me about it. We went to the outlets one day and then over to Lenny and Joe's. That first summer I was here David bought me as many lobster rolls as I could possibly eat ....ha.... (Bribes!) so we made it to every place we could think of. Now I get a couple a summer.... and that's still REALLY good!
Anonymous said…
But wait.... how is the one at Lenny and Joe's???? We were up in Maine a few weeks ago and I am regretting that I didn't get a lobster pie!!! Lobster, butter, crumbs oh my!
Kimberly said…
REALLY good! Not as good as Red's.....or even Harry's (I think) but Top 5 for sure!! It's lots of lobster and a real New England bun,(not like Abbott's - they win for atmosphere, but I don't get the hamburger bun)toasted, simple. And the ice cream and the merry-go-round - all too cute at Lenny's! Have you NEVER been there? Maine....Lobster pie...YUM!! Okay, this is turning into less "comment" and more "email"! We'll have to catch up!

Popular Posts