Carbonara

I have always wanted to make carbonara, but I've always been afraid of making spaghetti and scrambled eggs. Bacon, pasta, peas, cheese, What's not to like? So Saturday when I sat and watched Guy Fieri make it on Guy's Big Bite, I decided to give it a try. 

I didn't have all the ingredients and since it was just me for dinner anyway, I decided to wing it and use the ingredients I already had in the fridge. I boiled about 1/2 a box of spaghetti. I separated three egg yolks and mixed a handful or so if parmesan into the yolks and set it aside. Then in another pan, I crisped up some of the serrano in a pan with a little olive oil. When it was crisp I threw in 1/2 a small bag of frozen peas, just to warm them through. I drained the pasta reserving some of the water and threw the pasta in the pan. I quickly added the yolk/cheese mixture and tossed like crazy (holding my breath). I poured in a little of the starchy cooking water and continued to mix. Much to my great surprise, a beautiful, silky, sauce formed.

I tossed in a little black pepper and red pepper at the end. Delicious! It made enough I could eat on it the whole week. I imagine two nights is about all I can take of it. It's rich, but very delicious. I was so excited and surprised at how easy it was. I'll definitely make this again. Fantastic!

Comments

Popular Posts