Tyler's Ultimate Beef Stew...

We are having friends over Saturday so I've set the table for spring and I've searched the internet for new recipes. I decided on Tyler's Ultimate Beef Stew. Why I try new things on guests is beyond me, but this time I got smart. I am making it a day ahead. 1) I can just heat and serve and don't have to be in the kitchen working when they are here. More time to beat the boys in setback. And 2) If it's a complete disaster, I can throw it out and start again with something tried and true. (Spaghetti anyone?) I've watched the video and I think I'm ready to go!
Oh, did I mention that I'm pulling a Rachael Ray Week in a Day? Well, maybe not a week, but have you seen this show? In one hour and a completely pristine kitchen, she makes five dishes that can be made in one day and served throughout the week. It's genius - planning once, shopping once, cooking once, cleaning up major dishes once. A healthy, home cooked meal every night of the work week. Well, with a crew of prep chefs and a producer it's genius. With one person, it's a crazy mess (at least if that person is me). I've tried a couple of times. Even though the outcome is nice, it's exhausting just thinking about the undertaking, so I rarely do it. But today I am also making queso and lasagna with a from-scratch marinara. Three dishes is about all I can handle.

Written Saturday morning: Well, it's a good thing I made things in advance. I think the stew is too rich, the lasagna too peppery and the queso too thin. Much correction this morning before they get here. I'll post after the dinner. I will say this....the beef in the "stew" is AMAZINGLY tender. I would use this technique again to cook beef. It's flavorful and just melts in your mouth. SO GOOD! I think I am going to take the meat and vegetables out and serve it more like a roast. leaving the broth behind. It's too rich. Grandmommy makes a better stew! Should have used her recipe. All for the best. I never got around to buying "spring stew" bowls anyway. Peppery lasagna? David bought whole peppercorns and we had to grind them in the coffee grinder. I haven't got used to them yet. I always pour our too much. Everything I make these days has a little too much pepper.

I never fixed the queso. They noticed. I'll do better next time. The meat was good. I think I'm going to take the leftovers and shred the meat and make tacos with it and then try to mash or at least smashthe potatoes and make a mashed potato or potato cake to have with chicken or fish one night. The lasgana was a healthy "turkey" version, so it wasn't the best ever.....hot sausage and tons of cheese!...but it was good. I don't know what I was talking about...too peppery. The girls lost every game, but we were too busy talking to care. We are learning the new 9-5 version...MUCH more fun. Maybe we can play in Texas in April!

Comments

Popular Posts