My First Mussels

Big night at the Oakes House. I made my first mussels! How New England am I? I stopped by Whole Foods on the way home and bought 4lbs of Maine mussels (probably a bit much for two people, but I was excited). I bought good Maine butter and all the herbs (bay leaves, thyme and flat leaf parsley). I decided to use Emeril's recipe. I washed and scrubbed, checked and triple checked each mussel. I threw out a good 1/2lb (I'm sure lots of perfectly fine mussels - but if they didn't close completely and look perfect, they went in the trash. I was terrified we'd have death by mussel if I didn't.) They turned out pretty good. Next time I think I'll go for spicy tomato broth or something a little more interesting, but I was so proud of myself.....lobster, clams, crabs....look out! I'm a New England cook now!


Comments

Popular Posts