Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!


I am not an over-the-top huge fan of pizza1, especially the average pepperoni, sausage or cheese variety. I can think of about 1,000 meals I'd rather have given the opportunity to choose. But occasionally (a few times a year) there is nothing better than a really good, really unique, quality ingredient pizza. I get a craving. Unfortunately, that means ordering the most creative pizza our local place has to offer. It's not a bad place....but a pizza chain none the less. It's no Taverna Pizzeria and Risottoria: Pizza al Gorgonzola, Pera e Arugula. YUM!
As I look through the different foodie blogs looking for creative meal ideas, I see these gorgeous pizzas! Grilled pizzas, homemade doughs, flat breads and baking stones. I see the fruits and the cheeses and the exotic ingredients. The photos make my mouth water! One day, I'm going to try it.....homemade dough (or perhaps more realistically a ball of fresh store-bought dough) on the grill with figs, a tangy cheese, peppery arugula, aged balsamic...yes, one day! But today is not that day.
The truth of the matter is, I'm not a baker. I can't even do blueberry muffins or a fool-proof banana nut bread all that well. So, the thought of me producing an edible pizza dough seems a little ridiculous as much as I'd like it to be a reality. And as much as I'd like to go to Whole Foods and load up on $60 worth of pizza toppings, I don't see that being any more of a reality than the dough.
The solution to my quandary:


I rolled out the dough and pre-baked it according to package directions. I added a homemade pizza sauce that I made from a can of Hunt's basil garlic tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic, black pepper, red pepper, a dash of sugar and a splash of olive oil. I blended 3/4 of the mixture to make it smooth and stirred back in the 1/4 for a little chunky tomato texture. Then I added caramelized onions, fresh basil leaves, shredded beef (from last night's dinner), fresh mozzarella and parmesan and baked until "golden bubbly". 


Was it the best pizza we ever had? No. I'm sure David much prefers the ham/pineapple he can get down the street. I'm still dreaming about my grilled fig flat bread pizza. But I will say this....for the ease and the $3.49 cost, I can clean out the leftovers in the fridge and in 20 minutes have a pretty easy, pretty tasty summer meal on the table. That's nothing to turn your nose up at in my book.

Comments

Popular Posts