Trip To Chicago

Wednesday afternoon I headed to Chicago. Here's a few photos that I took. I stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Avenue. Here's my room. Not exactly like the rooms The Pioneer Woman blogs, is it?


 My view from the room:



Wednesday night I had a dinner for the marketing and research group only. This meant I had to walk into a room with over 100 strange faces and try to "fit in". Ugh. Not my thing. Mingle. Smile. Small talk. Strangers. In order to get through this, I decided that I needed a new pair of shoes! I am posting this photo mostly for Mary's benefit. Mary, I think you would love these. I wore them with jeans, a red top and a brown jacket:


Dinner turned out okay. I grabbed a taxi and headed off to Lou Malnati’s, a pizzeria. Real Chicago deep dish. YUMMY!! I got there and the room was full. I turned right around and headed to the bathroom. I took a "time out" and psyched myself up. Thought about leaving, but I had to pass everyone on the way back to the front door so I decided to suck it up. Back in and and I found a table and took a seat. I sat by several really nice people and commenced with the small talk. "Where are you from?" "Marketing or research?" "How long have you been with Colliers". "Have you been to Chicago before?" Next person. The questions were easy and obvious. The two hours dinner flew by. And I was back in a cab and in the hotel by 10:00pm.

Thursday morning was a combined market and research meeting. We met the main players, gave feedback to the policies in place now and had awards for the marketer and researcher of the year. Then Thursday afternoon I had free time to get out and walk. Here's a few things I saw. These banners were up and down the street. Nice touch for a "conference/convention city".


 There was a giant Marilyn:


Fourth Presbyterian Church in downtown Chicago:


See the "flags" in the yard? That was a display. They were t-shirts representing the 77 Chicago students killed in violence during the 2010-'11 school year.

This is the Chicago Tribune building. Built in 1925:

There is a park at the end of the street. It's no Central Park, but it's a nice little spot:





At the end of the park was a major highway. Across from the highway was the water ... a beachy, sandy shoreline you could walk and this:


I wanted to get over there and take some photos. There was a giant boat too. Looked similar to The Becky Thatcher on the CT River. I noticed a tunnel that appeared to go under the highway. I saw a couple of people walk out of it. I was a little afraid of it, but I decided to go. I wanted to get near that water.


I started down. I peered down the long walkway. There was a huge wall at the end that was painted with Martin Luther King's face. There wasn't anyone in the tunnel, but there were people at the opening standing in front of the wall. (Otherwise I would have taken a photo of it. But I felt weird with people standing there. It was quite a painting though.) I walked on. I got about half way and saw some cardboard boxes laid out with pillows and a blanket. There were empty liquor bottles as well. This was someone's home. I got closer to the other side and started to get "that feeling". A creepy feeling. A don't go on feeling. "OH COME ON" I told myself. "You'll be fine. You saw other people coming out of the tunnel. It's the way to the water." I stopped. "The feeling" got stronger. I looked to the end wall. I looked at the people. I got scared. I turned around. I walked back out. Never passing anyone. I went back to the park and back to The Mile. As I was walking back, I saw other people coming out of the tunnel. I'm sure it was fine. People walk it everyday. But I got a scared/unsure feeling and never got to see the shore up close.

Thursday night I went to dinner with my agents from the office who were attending the meeting. I was excited to get to try a Chicago restaurant. Something new. What would it be? I was disappointed to find out we were going to Smith And Wollensky Chicago. A chain! A Dallas restaurant. (Of at least it used to be.) So, no Rick Bayless - no Chicago specialty. But the lobster, crab and filet were really good! Here's a stolen photo:


Here's a photo I took outside the restaurant. Not the best photo, but you get the idea: 


Friday we had marketing specific meetings and then it was back to the airport and home before 9:30pm. It was an interesting trip. Saw a lot for the short time I was there. I didn't really scratch the surface - I'll have to go back sometime and see more of Chicago before I make a real judgment about the city. But it definitely isn't one of my favorites - it wasn't love at first visit and I know now why the song wasn't "I Left My Heart In Chicago."

Comments

Popular Posts