44 Things...


One of the nicest things that I got for my birthday when I turned 35 was an email with the subject line: 35 Things I Know About Kimberly. I still have it saved. It makes me smile when I read it from time to time.

So, for David's birthday this year I thought I would post 44 (Yep, that's right!) Things I Know About David. But that is harder than you might think. Oh, don't get me wrong, I could post 44 things you don't know ... I'm just not sure David would appreciate them all being broadcast on a blog for anyone to read.

Then I decided that I would post 44 Great Characteristics David Has or 44 Reasons That I Love David. But anyone who has spent more than an hour with him could write that list. Narrowing them down to 44 would be the problem there.

So, I decided to make it more personal and write 44 Things I've Personally Learned From Knowing David the past five or so years. In honor of David's birthday, here's my list:
  1. There is a right and a wrong way to make the bed and load the dishwasher.
  2. You really do need to answer the phone when it rings. If you do, more people will call and talk to you.
  3. Make it a point to never leave or enter the house without a hug.
  4. Football season is even more fun with you live with a rival fan.
  5. Unless it's covered in a foot of snow, it's never a bad time to grill.
  6. Mamma’s boys definitely make the best husbands.
  7. The words to Piano Man.
  8. Running errands on a Saturday afternoon can be the most fun you'll have all week if you do them with the right person.
  9. Dads can be just as good caregivers as moms.
  10. Age is a state of mind.
  11. Broccoli is the ultimate power food and best bargain in the supermarket. You can eat it with just about anything and you should eat it three times a week at least.
  12. Toilets may have motors in them. Watch out!
  13. Kenny Chesney is not that bad.
  14. There are poor souls in this world who have never eaten Frito pie or black-eyed peas & cornbread for dinner.
  15. A truly happy home is one where words of kindness, respect and love are given and received freely and abundantly ... even when things get tense.
  16. Cranky-butt low-blood-sugar disorder is a real condition. Well, okay, The Pioneer Woman put a label on it, but I learned it from David first.
  17. Recycling is not an option. It’s an obligation.
  18. If the question is: Dessert? The answer is: Yes.
  19. The correct way to shovel snow. (Note: I learned this by peering through the window time and time again and watching very carefully. I think I could do it if I really had to.)
  20. The tricks of the trade when it comes to cooking gluten free. While it may seem intimidating at first, it’s really not that hard.
  21. Simple, honest prayers are the best prayers.
  22. Your car is not your personal moving trash can. (Okay, I’m still learning this one, but I have a good teacher.)
  23. Being a good speller is completely overrated. That's what spell check and google are for.
  24. Pawn Stars is more interesting than American Pickers.
  25. Every New England adventure. Every new experience. Every new town .... it's all because of David. And that learning list could be a whole 'nother blog.
  26. More effort goes into doing the laundry than dumping the dirty basket into the machine and hitting start.
  27. You can root for whoever you like in most things, but the Yankees rule supreme in baseball. No exceptions.
  28. Complaining and drama don't get you very far ... kindness brings the best results.
  29. Embrace technology. I have come to love my GPS - my trusted travel partner. I learned the ipod is the best invention for the long car commutes and drives in the country. How did I ever live without podcasts!! And you can fast forward and rewind tv! Who knew?
  30. Say yes 10 more times than you say no. Be up for things. Try it. Go with it. Say Yes!
  31. Choose brown over white. In rice, bread, eggs, pasta, or wall paint … if there’s a brown/white question, choose brown.
  32. Aunt Jemima isn't maple syrup.
  33. A father’s love for his son can bring a grown man to tears, cause a passive man to stand up and fight, gives a tired man energy and it makes all the difference. It’s an amazing thing to watch.
  34. A good attitude makes all the difference. (Again, I am still learning! But I watch example after example of this played out on a weekly basis.)
  35. You are never too old to play video games.
  36. There’s not a mess in the kitchen you can’t clean up with a little ‘ol sink sponge.
  37. You can never get or give out too much affection.
  38. I love Texas more than I ever really knew.
  39. Not everyone can sit still and quiet for long periods of time like I can.
  40. Boats are fun.
  41. Real men aren’t afraid to break out into song when the mood strikes them and dance about. What? There’s nothing wrong with that.
  42. Every Eeyore needs a Tigger.
  43. People need nicknames.
  44. Most importantly I am learning everyday about loving someone absolutely unconditionally. It's the greatest gift that David could ever give me - the greatest gift any person could give another person. David loves without judgement. Without spite or mean spiritedness. Without bringing up past mistakes or expecting future failures. He sees past all the imperfections, the flaws, the shortcomings and the struggles unlike anyone I have ever met. He simply just loves people. And I am so very thankful to be one of them.
Happy Birthday sweetheart. You are teaching me everyday by your example and I am so glad that I met you!

Comments

Popular Posts