Taco Night With A Twist....

Last night was taco night with a twist. Ground chicken was on sale this week, so I cooked the ground chicken, instead of beef, with a green sofrito: onion, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, coriander, oil, salt and pepper. I added a dash of cayenne and cumin to the chicken too.  SO GOOD!  Then we topped it with traditional tex-mex: pico, guac and grated cheese.  It was a latin feast at our house last night.


I'm not sure how prevalent sofito is in Texas. I never noticed it until I made my trip to Frog Hollow. I think it's more Caribbean, Puerto Rican, Colombian type food. Not really Mexican, so not sure if you can find it in the local Texas grocery stores. If you google it, TONS of recipes come up. There are all kinds ... like salsas. Can't wait to try some more. I love sofrito!

HIGHLY Recommend this dish!

Comments

Anonymous said…
really how many Texans are going to hold their head up by making chicken tacos...you've been gone toooo long.
Anonymous said…
Kimberly, Sofrito is from Puerto Rico, I know. Doreen's family used it as a base for many dishes. Her Dad used to freeze it in cubes for future use. He gave me a few once. I remember a dish he used to make with pigeon peas and sofrito. I liked it, yum. Sofrito can work wonders to spice up a casserole. Momma O

Popular Posts