Dinner Last Night And That's About It....

Well, I have to say, it's been a quiet summer. Normally by now I've posted day trips and boat rides and all sorts of fun things. But this summer seems to be going by quite uneventfully. I blame not being filthy rich myself. :) Budget, budgets and even stricter budgets it seems.  Sometimes "wise choices" are just no fun, ya know? But we are staying the course ... and enjoying lots of Qwirkle on the deck while listening to podcasts and taking full advantage of Netflix streaming. Thank goodness I married a good friend that makes just "hanging out" a lot of fun.

I also have to blame no A/C in my car. Makes it harder to want to just jump in the car and go on a road trip or even ten minutes down the road to Colchester. I will get it fixed. It's just every time I think about it, I think that's about the price of a ticket to Texas and I'd rather have that. And in Connecticut, you really only have to worry about it July and August. I drive to work in 70 degree weather, so it's only the trip home that's painful. (And by painful I mean high 80's most of the time. So, in Texas terms that's practically late fall early winter weather!)  There is no baking of cookies on the windshields here, but it's not exactly "out and about road trip" temps.

So, all that to say, sorry for the boring summer blog. I think fall will be more eventful. But despite all that, we gotta eat, right? If you watch The Chew and saw Mario make a caprese sandwich on a surf board the other day, you'll understand why David said "Oh, let's have that tomorrow for dinner!"  Since we were basically having bread and tomatoes for dinner I decided they should be good tomatoes!  


One good thing about the heat this year is the tomatoes have been tasty and cheap! Even these heirlooms were cheaper than usual. I walked out of Whole Foods with ingredients for these sandwiches and spent less than if I had bought fish or steak or something like that.  Ohhhh they were tasty! I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try. You don't get tomatoes like this in January. Gotta get them now while we can.


Following Mario's lead, I piled on the multi-colored heirlooms with basil from our patio and fresh bocconcini.  I added olive oil, balsamic and salt and pepper.  Simple summer perfection.


The sandwich was so monstrous I ended up wrapping it in paper like a deli and cutting it in half. I didn't get any more photos because we were so anxious to dive in.  Personally, I decided to fore go the bread and had a giant caprese salad.   


That's about it from here.

Comments

Popular Posts