Happy Birthday, David!



Friday David turned 45! Friday night was a quiet dinner at home with the three of us. We are heading to New Hampshire to celebrate with George and Nancy Saturday morning, so a quiet night was in order. But it was a busy morning! 

I wanted to surprise David with a few decorations, dinner and dessert. Seemed simple enough. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Looking back as I sit in my chair at work, 9:18am and exhausted, I think dinner out would have been the way to go! :) 

David left the house at 7:05am ... even a little early for him and I was thrilled. I listened as the garage door opened and then closed again.  I didn't have a second to lose. I hopped out of bed.  Should he have forgotten his bus pass or phone and come back, I would have been busted, but I couldn't spare the time.

First thing up, separate 8 eggs. The whites had to be separated cold and then set out for 30 minutes to reach room temperature per the instructions.  But I'll get to that in a minute.  

I pulled the pot roast, onion and herbs out of the fridge and put them into the crock pot. 1.) It would be easy and ready when I got home and 2.) the whole house would smell fantastic when David and Evan walked in. After everything was seasoned, browned and "potted", I went downstairs to gather my party supplies.


I set the table, hung decorations and after blowing up a couple of balloons, decided I didn't have anymore time for that and needed to turn my attention to dessert.

It was now 7:45 and I should be leaving for work any minute. I was still in my pajamas. 

I had decided earlier in the week that instead of cake, I wanted to make Baked Alaska. I am not a very good baker for one and I thought we may be having birthday cake in New Hampshire for two. Plus, Baked Alaska seemed an easy gluten free/dairy free option. The problem was I had never made it before. I was scared the meringue would be a failure. So, I wanted to make it in the morning so that if I needed to grab a cake on the way home, I could. 

They were actually REALLY easy to make! I cut out the brownies in a circle and put a scoop of ice cream on top and put them back in the freezer. Then I beat 4 egg whites with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp cream of tarter and 1/2 cup of sugar.  BEAUTIFUL, extremely easy, fluffy meringue!  I had big plans ... pastry bag and tip ... gorgeous presentation like I had seen on-line.  It was also 7:59.  So, I made "mounds". 


After dinner I put them in a 475 oven for 5 minutes and they were golden brown.  Funny the things that seem so scary to make, but they are SO EASY!


After dinner David watched the Yankee game. It was a a quiet, simple birthday, but hopefully he is having a big month and feeling loved and celebrated by so many people.

Comments

Popular Posts