Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup


Today David had dental work, so a soup was just the thing for dinner.  But I wasn't in the mood on a Friday night to peel, chop, roast and let soup simmer for an hour.  So, I bought this: Campbell's  Golden Butternut Squash. Then I jazzed it up:
 
2 boxes butternut squash soup
1/2 can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 white onion, grated
Black pepper to taste
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Several sprigs of fresh sage, chopped
Pecorino Romano (optional)
 
 
 
 
I put everything in a pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Done. Easy. Yummy!
 
I suppose that "heart healthy" diets wouldn't include canned or boxed soups, but I think the same recipe would be great with butternut squash (roasted or boiled) and low sodium chicken broth in the blender.  Then add the rest of the ingredients.  I will DEFINITELY try that on another night. We  loved it.  With the pumpkin, sage, pepper and cheese, it didn't have the "sweet butternut" taste. It was a warm, fall, savory soup. Hit the spot!
 

Comments

Popular Posts