SNAP Challenge - The Planning

I couldn't talk David into my plan, so I will planning for one.  I think it's a little harder to do. It seems easier to buy for two on $70 than one on $35. But on the up side, it's just me so I can tailor the menu to whatever I want to eat based on what is on sale.  
 
As I was thinking about it today I realized I have absolutely no idea where to start. I would imagine it gets easier over time ... you know what's good ... what stretches ... you have some planned meals in mind.  But starting with a blank slate is difficult. I'm learning a good lesson here: I don't really budget my meals. I don't know where to begin.  I think this is going to be very helpful for future shopping!
 
Normally if I am shopping for a meal I go that day and get the ingredients I need for that particular meal. David and I go on Sundays and look for sales while we are there. We have our staple foods.  Mondays and Tuesdays we choose from one of about 5 meals. We always buy chicken in some form, broccoli and bananas. Very routine. Our Sunday shopping doesn't vary much. 
 
I decided to make a few lists of ideas - things I thought would be inexpensive and see which of the ingredients overlapped or could be interchangeable.  For example:
 
CHICKEN
  • Chicken and rice
  • BBQ chicken in the slow cooker
  • Chicken noodle soup
  • Chicken in a cold noodle salad
  • Typical chicken salad
  • Chicken and potatoes
BAG OF POTATOES (especially if buy one get one free)
  • Hash browns
  • Potatoes and onions
  • Baked potatoes (twice baked with broccoli or other veggies)
  • Potato soup
  • Add to soups or other vegetables
  • Mashed
  • Roasted 
  • Scalloped (? maybe too expensive)
BAG OF BEANS (black-eyed, white beans, mix bag, etc)
  • Beans and cornbread
  • Bean soup
  • Veggie soup
  • In burritos
  • In salads
  • With potatoes and onions
  • Just Plain
CABBAGE
  • Cabbage could be eaten hot as a side or cold in salad
  • Could be used in a soup
  • Stuffed with chicken or rice or other veggies and covered with tomatoes or extra pasta sauce 
EGGS
  • Scrambled
  • Boiled
  • Omelet
  • Quiche/fritatta
  • In salads
  • In a fried rice
  • Egg salad sandwich
RAMEN NOODLES or PASTA
  • In soups
  • With broccoli and chicken
  • Leftover meat and veggies
  • Chicken noodle soup
  • Mandarin orange salad, almonds, oranges, chicken, noodles
  • In a stir fry
  • Mock tuna casserole
  • Pasta and sauce
  • Pasta and peas - chicken stock
CHILI
  • Pot of chili
  • On spaghetti
  • On baked potato
 
I decided that some of the items I should consider having on my list are: 
  • chicken legs or thighs
  • chicken stock (worth it to make my own with the bones?)
  • pasta or ramen noodles
  • bag of beans
  • rice
  • can of tomatoes
One thing I'm already realizing is how much we waste, or at least how much I could extend ingredients if I really thought about it.  For example, I'm already starting to think about splitting a can of tomatoes - instead of just dumping the whole can in. Use half and then store it and use the other half  later.  Instead of cutting an onion up and throwing it in - use part and save part. Storage containers will prove to be crucial in this exercise. Re-purposing will be important too. One night's dinner can easily be the next day's soup!     
 
Tomorrow the new flyer comes out for our local store, so I can better determine pricing then and make a better plan.  But I've started thinking.
 
I also made a meal plan spreadsheet that I copied from one of the blogs I read. Very helpful.  
 
 
 
This is a lot of work! And it's only me. I can't imagine worrying about allergies, food preferences, picky eaters, growing kids, and needing a full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack for each person.  It really makes you realize how vital the school lunch programs are. That must be a GIANT help to struggling mothers.  How do they do it with kids under 5?  I can't imagine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
interesting. corned beef goes good in cabbage. so does good smoked beef german sausage.pork broiled are so good. i like a baked yam with mine. gm

Popular Posts