Salmon With Apple Mango Slaw

It's March and it's snowing here as I type. Snowing! But in the spirit of keeping a "spring like" attitude, we didn't have beef stew or a warm hearty pasta dish ... we  had a very light and very spring slow-cooked salmon with an apple mango slaw. But the star was the sauce!
 


In a blender I put some cilantro, jalapeno, green apple, lime zest, salt & pepper, garlic, honey, olive oil and white wine vinegar and pureed. YUM!! That went on the bottom. Then I cooked the salmon at 200 for 25 minutes. The slaw mimicked the sauce.  It was napa cabbage, mango, green apple (I tossed with lime juice to keep from turning) and a few cilantro leaves. At the very last minute I tossed the slaw with some olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Diced jalapeno would have probably been good. I would do that next time. I only used about 2 tablespoons of the dressing for the whole big bowl because I wanted it to stay crunchy. 
 
You could add the ingredients to lean however you like.  It was a little on the sweet side for our house, but you could make it more on the spicy side - use different fruits and veggies. Jicama would be great in this too. With the cilantro, jalapeno, lime and honey combination, it felt very "Bobby Flay" to me.
 
We LOVED it!  It was a huge success here. 

Comments

Popular Posts