The Pioneer Woman's Pretty Yummy Fruit Salad


Okay, anyone who wants to wow at a luncheon, shower, group, meeting, etc.......this is the BEST recipe! It's The Pioneer Woman's Pretty Yummy Fruit Salad. It's not the cheapest thing you could bring to the potluck (especially if you follow her to the letter and use two whole vanilla beans) but it's REALLY good and would be great for a special occasion.
When I take something somewhere, I usually judge the success on the empty bowl, not the compliments. People will be nice and tell you it's good but not eat it. The bowl was almost empty! It's the combination of orange, mint and vanilla that brings out the fruit flavors.

I changed it up just slightly from her recipe.

PIONEER WOMAN                   ME
1 cup sugar and water                   1 cup sugar and water
1 zest and juice of orange             1 zest and juice of orange
2 whole vanilla beans                   1 whole vanilla bean
4 pints strawberries                      4 pints strawberries
2 pints blueberries                        1 pints blueberries
2 cups red grapes, halved             1 pint blackberries
2 cups green grapes, halved         4 cups green grapes, halved
whole mint leaves, garnish           Several torn mint leaves mixed throughout

Pour 1/2 the dressing, toss I only used 1/2 the dressing for the whole bowl
then pour rest of dressing.

Since I needed this first thing in the morning, I started it the night before. I put the whole vanilla bean in the water (after craping out the seeds) and let it all steep together. I put the liquid in the fridge and let it cool and the flavors combine overnight. I cut up my grapes and strawberries and put them in a plastic containers with paper towels in the bottom. That stayed in the fridge overnight too.

In the morning, I strained out the bean, orange pulp and maybe some of the vanilla seeds too. I'm not sure she would recommend this, but I thought it came out great. I didn't want the zest and pulp in the salad. I washed the berries and poured half the mixture over the fruit about an hour before serving. The fruit and dressing had time to come to room temperature so you could really taste the flavors.

I'm not sure you can just half the recipe and get the same result. The vanilla/orange combination was perfect. So I would make it again with the cups of water and sugar, but I think I would still only use a 1/2 cup dressing on the fruit. You just want that hint that enhances the fruit - you don't want a strong dressing. And I would say, go light on the mint too. It takes less than you think. You just want that hint of fresh mint, not a minty salad. Maybe use a big spring for garnish on top, but if you over mint, it will ruin it.


I pulled a few scoops before we left so we could have it with lunch. It was SO GOOD! I highly recommend this recipe. Whatever fruit is on sale over the spring and summer would be good in this I think. But I think the halved grapes are a must. They soak up the flavor and really add a lot to the salad. Hope you try it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts