Grilled Chicken Salad

Last night we had chicken fajitas and we had left over grilled chicken breast. It's been so hot out, I decided a cool salad would hit the trick. I started thinking about Chili's Chicken Caribbean Salad  ... grilled chicken, pineapple, that lime dressing ... YUM!  I didn't create it exactly, but here's my version.


The dressing is key. In a bowl I added:
  • equal parts Dijon mustard & honey & olive oil 
    (...say 1/8 a cup each - but you could make as much or little as you wanted with this "equal parts" idea.  I  had dressing left over for another night using 1/8 a cup, so you don't need much for one big salad bowl.)
  • juice of two big limes
  • salt & pepper
  • a few overflowing tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
  • a handful of chopped chives
  • taste and adjust as needed to your liking
The honey is sticky, so it's easiest made in a jar.  Put the lid on and shake until combined.  Remember when you taste it, you want it a little more acidic because you will be adding sweet fruit and it's a good contrast. That lime and vinegar brightens the whole dish.

I tossed a liberal amount of dressing with shredded iceberg lettuce (also left over from fajita night).  Then I started dumping all the chopped ingredients - basically cleaning out the produce drawer in the fridge:
  • one small roma tomato
  • few slices of cucumber 
  • one small can mandarin oranges
  • two pineapple rings (I caramelized in a hot pan first)
  • a small jicama (for crunch ... I think the Chili's version has tortilla chips ... that would work too)
  • grilled chicken, chopped into bite size pieces
After everything was tossed, I added a few slices of avocado and a sprinkling of queso fresco. 

SO GOOD!

Comments

Popular Posts