New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas


Mom and Grandmommy and I all make black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. And, of course, we all make it a different way.  I really mixed it up this year and made them in a way I never have before.

I rinse and soak my black-eyed peas over night, changing out the water once in the soaking process. And get up in the morning to start the cooking process.


I browned salt pork and smoked ham in a skillet and left it to drain on a paper towel.

 
I chopped a giant white onion, two carrots, two celery stalks, one large red bell pepper, 1/2 a bunch of green onion and cooked them down with black pepper, 4 cloves of garlic and a good tablespoon of smoked paprika.



Then I put everything together in a soup pot with water and chicken stock about an inch over the beans and cooked them on low for hours covered.  Then I uncovered the pot, turned up the heat, added vinegar, salt, fresh parsley and little more smoked paprika and let them cook while I made the cornbread.


Then I garnished it with more parsley, yellow bell pepper and chopped ham.  Traditional southern black-eyed peas?  No.  But they were sure tasty!



I hope you had good black-eyed peas today too. Happy New Year!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
looks yummy
Unknown said…
I will never cook plain blackeyed peas again! these look scrumpious!!gm

Popular Posts