Tarragon Grapefruit Salad


I saw his in the new Rachael Ray magazine and I thought it looked SO GOOD.  Most of the time I cook for my audience, usually David and Evan, and I know what they like. We are heavy on basil and light on olives, heavy on broccoli and light on carrots in this house. But sometimes something looks so yummy, I make it even if I know I'm the only one that will really like it.  Such was this salad.  

Here's what the magazine said:
  • 2 grapefruit (they looked like ruby red in the photo in the magazine)
  • 1 tsp zest of grapefruit
  • 1 Tlb red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tlb olive oil
  • 1/2 small red onion
  • 3 Tbsp chopped toasted almonds
  • 1/2 tsp fresh tarragon
Basically, mix the oil and vinegar and assembly all the ingredients.  Simple, light, quick and easy. 


Here's what I did:
  • 2 grapefruit (I used the light pink/white basic grapefruit and they were pretty tart.)
  • Zest of one whole grapefruit 
  • Rice wine vinegar - just a splash 
  • 1 Tlb or so of honey
  • 2 Tlbs or so of olive oil
  • 1/4 small red onion sliced paper thin on a mandolin
  • Small handful of chopped smoked almonds
  • 1 large sprig of fresh tarragon
I mixed the vinegar, oil and honey with salt and pepper and assembled. I put the grapefruit on the plate first, followed by the onion and then sprinkled on the rest of the ingredients.  Maybe my grapefruits were small, maybe it was my technique, but it really only served two people, not four as was in the magazine. But I thought was DELICIOUS! Evan ate one grapefruit as a good sport and David said he didn't love it, but it was okay. Then proceeded to scrape the dish clean, getting every last drop.  Hmmm.... I think if I made it again, I would add oranges to the mix for a little more sweetness.  Personally, I thought the tart grapefruit was just right. Definitely a nice winter salad. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh , be still my heart! This recipe really appeals to me. I copied down your recipe and will try it soon. Love, Momma O

Popular Posts