Okay, Grandmommy, I Need Your Help ...

Looking at the peaches in the bowl every morning, I started thinking about the peach cobbler that Grandmommy used to make. Not the pain-staking rolled out crust cobbler, but the quick and easy cobbler.  The one I thought I could make.  So I pulled up the recipe, but I needed more explanation.

Grandmommy, help? Here is what I had to work with:


Here is what I did. I melted a 1/2 cup butter and poured it into a 9"x9" pan.  Then in a bowl I mixed together: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, and 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  The recipe said to "spoon into pan", but it was a really thin batter - thinner than pancake batter.  So I poured it into the pan. It was really shallow in the pan over the butter. I can't imagine using a 9"x13" pan. But maybe I should have? Then I put the fruit on top (a bag of frozen peaches - was that not enough fruit?) and put it in the oven. 40 minutes or so?  Here is what came out:


It was edible, but not like Grandmommy's.  The edges were hard and chewy and not really edible. The middle was okay. It was gooey and a big scoop of ice cream or whipped cream fixed everything.  But it wasn't "right".

What did I do wrong, Grandmommy? I need your help. How many of these have you made? How many have I eaten over the years? I remember picking the fresh peaches off your trees and all the canning of fresh peaches and jellies and jams. I wanted to capture that memory, but it just fell flat.

Help! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
your cobbler looks perfect.i put my fruit in the pan sometime and pour batter over it. doesn't matter which but that is the way erma and billie did theirs
Anonymous said…
if you use frozen fruit add 2/3 cup sugar to the fruit. if you use canned fruit it is probably sweet enough. you may like it softer so cook it 30 min. or so. then you won't have the crisp edges.
Kimberly said…
I'll have to try it again sometime. It just wasn't like yours!

Popular Posts