Cheesy Squash Fondue From The Chew

I saw this recipe on The Chew. They went on and on about how good it was, so I wanted to try it. It was okay, but not amazing. To be fair, I didn't go exactly by the recipe.

The recipe called for acorn squash, leeks, mascarpone, cream, fresh grated nutmeg and gruyere. I didn't have nutmeg and I substituted 1% milk for the heavy cream. So that may be the problem right there. But there wasn't a lot of taste. If I did this again, I would add some sausage or bacon or maybe parmesan. Maybe some taco seasoned turkey?  It needed a little more flavor.  


I served it with a variety bread. It did make a nice spread. For a party I could see making this squash ahead and then at the last minute putting on the bread and sprinkling a little cheese over and it and popping it in the oven. Then serving it warm and bubbly.  

But for another regular dinner, I think I would just bake the squash again with salt, pepper and maybe a little maple syrup and serve as a side. I wouldn't do this particular recipe for a dinner at our house again. 


I'm glad we tried it, but for the cost of the ingredients and the reaction they had on the The Chew, I was expecting it to be a little tastier.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
agreed. I am making tiny stuffed bell peppers for my weight watcher crew here and at work..the bag of small bell peppers stuffed with your favorite meat loaf recipe..turkey or beef..great for small bites
Kimberly said…
OH!!! I was going to do those next time I needed to take something to church. Those are so cute!! I saw those on Trisha Yearwood's show: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/mini-stuffed-peppers.html

Popular Posts