What kinda sound DOES a bat make?

Batman started on Friday, but I wasn't able to see it as I went to New Hampshire to visit with David's parents.  I did end up having a "bat encounter" of my own....and it didn't look anything like Christian Bale! 

David's parents have a house in Westmoreland, NH where they have all sorts of creatures from moose to bear to coyete.  Friday night when they went upstairs to turn down the beds, they noticed a bat flying around. While David tried to hide the "bat hunt" from me, knowing I'd be a little shaken, they couldn't keep it a secret for long with all the commotion.  Needless to say, the last image I had in my mind before bed was David's dad, George, walking through the house with a giant butterfly net. 

I crawled into bed scared to death a bat would fly into my room.  I fell asleep and dreamed of bats - the attack of the living, monstrous, evil bats, in fact.  They would flap their giant wings together before they attacked, making a sort of flapping, menacing, eerie sound.  I woke up and realized that the flapping sound was not in my DREAM, it was REALLY in the room!!  In that half awake and half asleep state I realized that I was about to be attacked by a bat!  I quickly made a plan....grab a pillow to use as a shield...run for  the door as fast as possible...hope for the best! I jumped up and headed for the door.  I made it.  I stood in the hallway with a death grip on my pillow.  What should I do now?  I could still hear the bat's wings flapping.  I hoped that my activity would wake someone else up, but it was quiet.  David was in with Evan, so I didn't want to wake them both up. There was only one logical thing to do.....go downstairs and curl up on the couch and hope the bat would fly into someone else's room and wake them up. 

I was curled up on the couch still grapsing my pillow about an hour later when it started to sprinkle.  David's mom, Nancy, came downstairs to close the windows and found me.  When she asked me what I was doing on the couch, I told her there was a bat in my room and I was scared and came downstairs.  She finished closing up the house and went upstairs to wake up George.  I heard voices and then a minute or so later Nancy came downstairs.

"Honey," she said, "it's not a bat. Come upstairs with me." I followed her upstairs to find George looking at the rotating fan. There was something catching on it as it went round and that was making the "bat wing noise".  You can only image my embarrassment as this was my first night to stay in their house!  All I could think to say looking at them both standing there in their pajamas in the middle of the night was "I'm so sorry, I'm a city girl". 

I'm sure this story will be told and re-told. The night I escaped the clutches of the evil bat fan!

Comments

Jayme said…
This story made me laugh out loud!!

Mom and I went to see Mama Mia Sunday morning! LOVED it....I'm gonna wait out Dark Knight a couple of weeks and let all fuss and crowds die down.
Katie said…
THAT is a great story! If it's any consolation, I probably would have done the exact same thing. Except I might have screamed and made it worse. Kudos to you for being able to keep quite!
Jenny said…
Kimberly,
I would have done the SAME thing! Just thinking about bats give me the heebie jeebies. It's so funny to me that knowing there was a bat in the house, the family just went to bed. No biggie! That would SO not happen here!

Popular Posts