OUT with 2008 and IN with 2009

I just wanted to post a thought or two on this last day of 2008.  Just my ramblings - nothing more. It's been a long year.....a tough one.....a fun one. There has been a balance of more laughs and more tears this year than I've had in a long time.  It's been a bitter sweet year....moving from my home and family to  a new home in a new place with the potential to have a new family.  It's been a year of adventure from bats to navigation to snow.  It's been a year that has forever changed the person that I am.  I believe people have life changing years:  they go through such joys, trials, and loss that they are changed in a permanent way.  My last such year was in 2004, and I was not the same person after that year ended.  Another four years later, I feel I've had another of those years: 2008.  And I am not the same.

2008 was the year I grew up a little.  The year I did something really scary.  The year I took a risk I thought I'd never have the courage to take.  2008 changed my relationships with everyone I knew.  Some grew stronger and some grew weaker.  But they all changed forever - regardless of what the future holds.  2008 was the year I left just about all my worldly belongings behind.  The year I realized how little they really meant. It was a year for a new job, a new place to live, a new lifestyle.  A year of holding the past tight while trying to embrace the future.  It was a year of being torn right down the middle - torn between two completely different worlds without a real foot-hold in either one.  

I couldn't have it made it through this year without everyone's support who is reading this right now. Thank you so much. I have the greatest family and friends - supportive and understanding and encouraging.  I have a mother whose heart broke in a way I can't even understand, who let me go so that I could grow. You have all been there with visits, cards, letters, calls and it has all been appreciated and needed. I am so thankful for you. Thank you! You've been there when I needed to vent and when I needed to laugh.  Thank you for all the comments on the blog and the positive attitudes that have kept me going on the tough days.  Thank you!

I have to also thank the new people in my life.  Thank you to "David's People" for embracing me and loving me simply because David loves me.  George and Nancy, you have been SO GREAT!  You have  let me come into your home weekend after weekend.  You have taken me into your lives without a hitch. You treat me like I've always been here - like a family member - not a "girlfriend" and I am so grateful to have you in my life now.  From knitting lessons, to magic bars, to that "I know you miss your family" look at just the right moment, Nancy, you have been such a blessing to me. I look forward to getting to know you and your family so much better. And thank you to Wendy and Eric as well, who have been so great and supportive about the move and my relationships with David and Evan.  They have given me the space to get to know Evan and be a part of his life with David.  They have allowed me to be at all the parties, birthdays and holidays, again, because David loves me.  I have met their families and spent time with them. I am forever grateful that they have been so kind and made getting to know Evan so easy.

And, of course, I am grateful to you, David, for everything that you have done to make the move as painless as possible. Everything you have given me, from the navigator to the football games, has helped me to transition.  Thank you for the days that I just needed space to "think" (really cry and miss home).  Thank you for all the love and kindness and patience that you have brought into my life.  All the insanity and drama this past year has been about you....about getting to know you better and joining in your world.  You are a good man, a good dad, a good son and I love you so much.  I have told you many times, I would not have done this for anyone else but you.  I hope that you know that I love you and that 2008, for me, was all about getting to know you and love you more. Thank you understanding that it was hard for me.  Thank you for giving me room to work things out on my own, and yet still being right there with a hug when I needed it. I love you so much.

I don't know what 2009 has in store.  But I am ready to let go of 2008 and look forward to all that is to come.  I look forward to more laughter and more love, a stronger faith and a calmer spirit. I look forward to building new relationships and maintaining old ones. I look forward to more adventure and less fear. And I hope that 2009 will bring happiness and joy and fun to everyone reading this.....who knows maybe 2009 will be a life changing year for YOU as 2008 has been for me.

Comments

betty said…
Everyone so looks forward to seeing you. You are and have always been such a big and important part of our lives, mine for sure! I love you so much and am so proud of you. I for one can truly empathize with your drastic move and life change. I know your mom and aunt can, too. You seem strong and looking forward. Your dad misses you, too. Thank God David is good, kind, and patient, and wanting your happiness. gm

Popular Posts