I Found Mexico in Connecticut!

location_newingtonYou've been hearing me belly-ache almost a year now about not having any good Mexican food in CT and missing Gloria's and Luna....I know, I know.  When David came home with a Hartford Advocate (like your D Magazine) Best Of the first place I flipped was "Best Mexican Restaurant".   I thought it would be Agave, a place we've been several times in downtown Hartford.  It's the closest I've had to real Mexican food.  But it was a place called Puerto Vallata. 

Here's what it said:  "Juan Rodriguez, the owner of the Puerto Vallarta says they offer 80 to 90 dinners.  They offer the traditional Mexican fare such as burritos, enchiladas, and chimichangas, but they also offer less traditional dinners such as the house special, which is made with red snapper, octopus, butterfly shrimp, rice, potatoes, and homemade Mexican salsa. As always, all the recipes come straight from Mexico. "Grandma makes the original and we bring it from Mexico to you," says Rodriguez. The Rodriguez family has roots in the Mexican state of pic_pv_005Jalisco, and Juan says the Puerto Vallarta restaurants offer a little taste of Mexico's broad culinary traditions."   Here's the link: http://www.puertovallartausa.com/

I was so excited to try it.  One of the locations was about 3 miles from my work.  So, I emailed David and said "Let's go tonight".  He said OK.  I drove by the place at lunch to find exactly where it was.  It looked like an old cheap El Fenix or El Chico.....I emailed David when I got back....forget it. 

But David talked me into going anyway and trying  it. It was "best of" after all.   I was skeptical, but went along.  I am SO GLAD that we went.  When you walk in the music is playing (loudly I might add) and the walls are all trimmed in colorful tile....the seats are carved painted wood, the art is all  very authentic. It's like walking into a older hotel restaurant in Cancun....it was like instantly being on vacation!

I ordered:  Arroz Con Pollo - Our signature item! Tender sliced chicken breast specially prepared with fresh mushrooms, onions and green peppers served on a bed of rice with melted monterey jack, smothered with our special mild sauce and garnished with avocado and tomato. Served with your choice of warm tortillas.

David Had: Carnitas De Puerco - A Mexican tradition roasted pork with rice, beans, salsa Mexicana, sour cream, tortillas and ole guacamole. Served with your choice of warm tortillas. untitled

Both were SO GOOD!  We ate as much as we could.  I took quite a bit  home for dinner the next day.  Overnight it's become one of my favorite places here in CT. It's going to be my new "instant Mexico vacation." I can't believe that they settled here in Connecticut, but thank goodness they did.......no more belly aching for me.  We actually have real authentic Mexican food right here!  I cna't wait to go on a weekend and see the mariachi band!

Comments

Popular Posts