This Makes Me Happy.....

lobster roll

Auughhh.....There's not much better than an authentic New England lobster roll.  Haley's coming into town on Friday night and I'm not really sure what all we are going to do while she's here.  We might go out on the boat.  We might tour around a few classic-looking New England towns.  We may do FireWater in Providence.  Visit a covered bridge or a stone castle.  We may just sit around and hang out on the patio and grill and enjoy the weather. It's really up to Haley. We are definitely going to New Hampshire and I'm going to get to venture to Vermont with her....a place I haven't really explored.  But one thing we've all agreed on........Haley's getting an authentic Connecticut lobster roll!

bunI have recently learned there's a big difference between the Maine and Connecticut lobster roll:  cold or hot.  In Maine (and frankly in the rest of New England) a "lobster roll" is chilled lobster salad (mayo and celery).  Fortunately the lobster roll unique to Connecticut consists of hot lobster meat drenched in melted butter and nothing else.  My kinda sandwich!  But whichever way you prefer, both are served on a traditional New England hot dog bun.  And we're not talking a Mrs. Baird's wiener bun here, folks.  The roll is almost as important as the precious meat found inside.  It's thick and toasted and chewy....sides split, not rounded.  There's a heavier texture to it.  It has to hold all that butter after all.

This week I've been trying to find the perfect place to take Haley.  I've been reading magazines, travel sites and blog comments.  All this research has made me crave this delicious roll. So, last night David and I tried a local spot.  Worst lobster roll ever.  How do you ruin a lobster roll?  Well, besides the obvious mayo, that is?  We called our Amston restaurant to check to see if it was lobster salad only. It was.....okay...next....We called another local spot.  Hot rolls?  Yes!  We got in the car and headed out.  My mouth was watering.  We sat down. Hot lobster rolls....no need to look over the menu, thanks.

We waited patiently.....making small talk....hungry!!  The waitress came over and set the two plates down....What??  It was "lobster filling" of some sort.  Brown.  Ugh......My eyes dropped down on the plate.  I'd been reading about lobster all day....and this was NOT IT!  It didn't even really taste like lobster. It wasn't bad mind you....kind of a crab cake filling with lobster....but it wasn't what we wanted.   Such a disappointment.  But the quest must go on....don't worry Haley....I'll find the perfect roll....I'll make the sacrifice....I'll have to try a new place tonight....and then on Thursday.....and maybe lunch on Friday.....  ;)   Anything for you!

Can't wait for you to get here!  Looking forward to the visit!

Comments

Haley said…
Mmmmmmmmm.......this makes me happy, too!! Good heavens -- that picture is going to stay in my mind for days. I can't get there fast enough! Good luck with your research, and thanks for sacrificing yourself for lil' ol' me.... See you tomorrow!!! :-D
Leyn said…
In Middletown, Ct. Harbor Park Restaurant has the best hot lobster Roll, it is served with fries and coleslaw . mmmm very good! And it is right on the water.

Popular Posts