What Book's in Your Summer Bag?

book_bagBeing as the weather is getting warmer, sunnier, frankly just all-around better.....I plan to spend every possible minute of every pretty day OUTDOORS!  Whether that's on David's deck (where I'm sure I'll spend the most time) in a fold-out chair, at the park, on the porch in New Hampshire, on the boat, where ever....I am going to be in desperate need of some good summer reading.  A book I can pick up and put down...nothing too heavy....something fun and "summery",  ya know.  Something that grabs me right off....not a "hang in there, the end is worth it" book.  Better writing than Danielle Steele or Mary Higgins Clark and not as "technical" as Patricia Cornwell.  I'm not looking for the meaning of life or how to change in 90 days or less....not looking for something that requires a notepad or a dictionary...not looking for something I have to go back and re-read the next day after I've put it down.  Just Some Good, Fun, Interesting, Relaxing in the Sun, Summer Reading!

I need your help. Read anything fun lately? Any suggestions? Here's a little about my reading habits (for better or for worse):

Things I didn't want to end. I was sad when I was down to the last chapter:

  1. The Shack

  2. Same Kind of Different As Me

  3. The Perfect Husband (or anything Lisa Gardner)

  4. Biographies - all sorts from entertainment to political to survivor stories

  5. A Million Little Pieces

  6. Water for Elephants

  7. The Great Gatsby

  8. Me Talk Pretty One Day (anything David Sedaris or other interesting humorous memoirs)

  9. Stephen King (The Shining & Hearts of Atlantis remain my favorites)

  10. Good For Gone (or anything Harlan Coben)


Things I can't get through (even though I know I probably should.....I know, I know):

  1. by Tom Clancy

  2. by Vince Flynn

  3. by David Baldacci

  4. by Michael Crichton

  5. by James Patterson

  6. by Dean Koontz

Comments

Dad said…
I agree with you on Tom Clancy. He bounces around too much to keep up with. Michael Crichton is my absolute favorite, but he only wrote a few books and since he is no longer with us, there will be no more. My two favorites now are Dean Koontz and Clive Cussler.

I have not read anything of Vince Flynn. I will have to give him a try.
amy said…
a book that immediately popped into my mind as one i loved and didn't want to end is John Adams by David McCullough. not sure its your idea of a summer read, though. but it was so interesting. made me miss him when it was over.
Jayme said…
My reading is all over the board these days!

I'm on a different kind of kick lately. Hinds Feet in High Places is my next read but when I'm not "feeling" that one I have some from Tim Kimmel to start.

...and I always have the "smut" novel laying around for a quick unhectic, don't have to think to much read. HA HA!
kimsingleton said…
Okay, you guys are SO MUCH smarter than I am........ ;) I'm thinking a little lighter and easier read. Haley's probably reading something in French....ha! Yikes....maybe I should up my game!

I have heard the John Adams HBO series was really good. Wonder if it was from that book. I like biographies...maybe this winter....
mom said…
now don't roll your eyes. Did I ever get you to read Walk Across America, The Walk West, Walk across China and The silent walk? You would particularly enjoy this because the walk starts on your coast and ends in Washington state. Peter Jenkins. Aslo did you ever read the Polifax series? You would also enjoy those because it makes you think of either Grandmommy or Nanny. What do you think
Kimberly said…
Yes, yes....I've read "Walk Across America" recently (since visiting to CT). I haven't read the others. You've been trying to get me to read Ms. Polifax for years now......maybe I'll try that!!
jenny said…
I just started the new book by Michael J Fox, Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist. I haven't finished it, but it's REALLY good so far. (Did you read his other book, Lucky Man?) Offers you the blessing of perspective; how fortunate we are every day that we have our health and the opportunity to make choices.
kimsingleton said…
Yes! I've been interested in that...I've seen him interviewed several times and saw the special on tv. I have read "Lucky Man". I thought it was really good! Good idea....maybe I'll get that one as well.
ericahawleyscime said…
I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Though I suppose its not all that "fun" and you would probably require a dictionary. I know I have.

Popular Posts