I Think I've Finally Met My Match....

"Her only super powers are that she can walk in heels without wobbling & if you don't think that's amazing, you've never tried it."  - Brian Andreas

1.  I love shoes. 

2.  I have always loved shoes, especially high heels. My first love of heels started at FBC Allen on a Sunday morning.  I can't remember my age, but I was old enough to "sit with a friend away from my parents" which was a really big deal.  I was growing up.  My friend and I sat with her parents on the side in the overflow section.  Down the row to my left (I still remember) was Jennifer Hamner with her mother, Sharon.  She was a few years older than me, and she got to wear her Mom's pink snake skin high heel shoes with almost a "ruffle" in the back. (gotta love the 80's!) Yes, they looked ridiculous on her at that age, but the shoes were GORGEOUS!   She looked so grown up. I've been hooked on heels every since.  (Oh, and as I think about it, Ms. Kubichek probably had a little to do with it to. In heels all the time at school. From grade school age, I associated "pretty ladies" with "fancy shoes". )

3.  My love of the beautiful, tall heel has grown over the past year because I wear them now as a symbol of my old Dallas life.  They are often out of place here in the east.....ridiculous....a flashing sign that I am "not from here".  I wear them proudly. I love them.  I won't give in to comfortable, sensible footwear!  It's my little piece of Dallas here in CT.

In the summer, however, the "traditional heel" just won't work with shorts or summer dresses and skirts, so I have to resort to the "tall" sandal.  I was in pursuit of such sandal the day I went bathing suit shopping. It kills me to admit it, but I think I have finally found a shoe that's too tall.  I've met my match.  I can't wear them.  Here's how I got to that conclusion.  But first here's the beautiful shoe. Let's take a minute to appreciate the cuteness:

BCBG MAXAZRIA Girls Mely Wedge Sandal

Take the high road in these phenomenal Mely sandals from BCBGirls. Elastic fabric upper in a dress platform wedge slingback sandal style with a round open toe. Wide elastic straps criss-cross over vamp, shiny patent quarter straps. Elastic slingback heel strap. Fabric lining, cushioning footbed. Lacquered cork midsole, basketweave pattern 1 1/2 inch platform and 4 1/2 wedge heel. Traction outsole.

(so, essentially, I'm 6 inches taller, putting me close to 6'.  I LOVE THEM!!)

 
I excitedly got home on Friday and couldn't wait to try on the dress, with the shoes and the new brown sunglasses.  Wanted to see the whole look assembled.  I was going to wear it to a BBQ on Saturday.  I got everything out.  I tried it on.  My only full-length mirror is in the bathroom, so I proceeded from the bedroom to the mirror.  I stumbled.  WOW - these are tall. I better practice wearing them. But they were Darling!  LOVE the shoes. My legs looked 10 miles long.  I was so pleased.  I changed back into shorts and put the shoes in their box.  One podiatrists' nightmare.....another girl's treasure.

Saturday morning while puttering around the apt, I decided I better practice wearing them.  Didn't want to fall at the party, after all.  I wore them while cleaning.  I stomped around and only fell a few times. These were the problems:  1.  The shoe gets narrower as it goes down.  Not like a straight wedge I’ve had before. So, any slightly uneven surface would turn my shoe. (and I mean slight)  2.  The place where your foot sits is slick and shiny.  (Makes them gorgeous in the store under the lights, but when my feet get hot, they slip out from the shoe. No traction.)  3.  The straps are stretchy and there is no way to adjust them tighter.  They are just a tad too loose. Don’t give my feet the support they need to stay in the tricky shoes.

Long story made longer:  David had a head-on collision with a pine tree while mowing and strached his eye with pine needles.  I took him to see his eye dr. and we decided not to go to the BBQ.  We went to the beach instead.  So, I knew I couldn't get away with wearing these to the beach. I went for the gold sparkly flip flops instead and we headed out for a day at the beach.  Sunday, same deal.  We have a  rough parking lot to get to church and then the beach. I left them in the box.

One week later, today, Friday  July 10th, I got ready for work.  White shirt. Jeans.  Hair done.  I KNOW.....I'll wear my new shoes.  I put them on.  LOVE THEM!!  I beamed all the way from the mirror until I hit the pavement walking down the front steps.  Okay, lookit, I fall ALL the time.  Those of you who've known me all my life know it's just a fact.  If the truth were out, I probably have some sort of inner ear problem or balance issues.  I'm just clumsy.  So, that was my fall for the day. No big deal.  Glad I got it out of the way with no one watching.  Hey, the sun's out!

The sky is blue!!  Those of you in Texas, you just can't understand! It's been 6 months of cold and winter and snow and yuck and then we've moved into "tropical rain forest" mode for the last two months.  It's been dreary and awful - so Seattle.  And these are the GOOD months.....these summer months are the reasons that  people can stand to live here.  They store up each and every day in the sun....storing in their memories like a camel to live on in the following winter.  Beaches and lakes are packed...picnics...boating...concerts outside....just enjoying being out and not wearing a coat and gloves. We save these days in our hearts.  "Auuugghhhh....remember that day we.......(fill in great story here)....we'll get there again, honey, don't worry.....summer's coming."   We have precious few of those stories this year!  It'll be "Remember that one day it didn't rain in June and we...." After two months of yuck, it appears we've actually got a sunny day!!  It's blue.  Clear. Not a cloud in the sky. And it's Friday to boot....my life soundtrack is playing in my head just like a movie....

I'm walking on sunshine , wooah.....walking on sunshine, woooah
I'm walking on sunshine, woooah...and don't it feel good!!
(I dig in my purse and grab my sunglasses and put them on.)
Hey , alright now.....and don't it feel good!!
hey yeh......
(sing it with me now) .....walking on sunshine, woooah

Remember that scene in Miss Congeniality when they fix Sandra Bullock all up and she's feeling good and sexy in her little pink dress and high heels.  Her life soundtrack is playing and everyone stops to look at her. She pulls off her sunglasses. You can tell she feels like a supermodel….and then in the next nanosecond, her arms flail up and she’s sprawled on the pavement….the record scratches and the music stops.  Real life hits hard. That was me.  Almost to the car.  Turned my foot on a rock and I was down.  Walking on sunshine?  I’m walking on death traps!

I love these shoes. I'm not giving in. I'll be careful.  I'm almost 6 foot! I knew that they were going to be tricky on uneven surfaces.  It's like the ice. I'll just have to wear other shoes and then have them in the office or the restaurant or whatever. No big deal.  I made it to the office just fine. Although I am getting a little sore. 

It's now 9:38am.  First fall 7:15am.  Jean comes over. "Can you show me how to search on the new CERC site?"  "Sure," I say.  I get up to walk over to her desk. She already has the site up.  I stand up and turn.  You guessed it.  Spralled out flat.  Arms and legs in every direction.  Not a stumble - a tumble!  It looks like I'm making a snow angel in the carpet. OKAAAAAYYYYYYY as Evan says in exasperation.  I get it.  I can't wear these shoes!  I call uncle. You win BCBG designers.  I'd like to think the shoe is faulty in design, but maybe I'm just getting older. I never thought I'd say it, but these are more shoe than I can handle.  I'm about to slink out to the car and grab a replacement.  (I had a feeling they may not make it through the day).


Comments

Jenny said…
They are gorgeous!!! I so admire your determination to wear them, even though you could potentially kill yourself. (Death by shoe - not such a bad way to go.) But really, with warm weather finally there you don't want to be in a full leg cast. Don't return them, just use them as "sitting" shoes. Bring them with you in the car, put them on just before you walk up to someone's house, and then proceed to sit and show them off! I have a pair of gorgeous black sparkly sandals, can't walk in them to save my life. But they look FABULOUS if I am standing still or sitting down... :)

Popular Posts