Life's a Beach

"Hiding behind a beach towel so all anyone remembers about her is a bunch of orange stripes." - Brian Andreas

We were off from work on Friday, the 3rd, and it was the usual dreary, rainy mess we've become accustom to this summer.  So, with precious few options to spend a free weekday,  David and I took off to do some shopping at the mall in West HAAAAArGElb8AAAAAAFRJxgartford.  I haven't really done much shopping since I’ve been here in CT.  Mom and I shop when I go home, that's been about the extent of any new clothes or shoes I’ve had in about a year. I don’t really have any summer things at all.  I’m usually not a big shopper, but I had the bug this weekend to get some new things.  I got a cute little brown and orange summer dress and the BEST sandals to go with it!  There are REALLY TALL (possibly my tallest ever) retro brown wedges with the striped straw heel.    I had to wear them around the house on Saturday morning to practice walking in them....they are that high.  LOVE 'em!!  I got a pair of giant Jackie-O brown sunglasses to complete the outfit. I was even in the mood to break away from the black....I really took a big risk and went to something out of the ordinary...chocolate brown!  ;)   (Oh, but not to worry....I bought a little black summer dress too.)  But all that was later in the day....there was something else that I needed first thing.....

.....I'd been desperately trying for a year to get out of it.....postpone it.....delay it….ignore it and hope it went away…..but there was no way around it this weekend.  My time had come.  No, it wasn't a root canal…I wasn't going to have to sit through a holiday James Taylor concert....or eat cow brains….not a booklet of math problems or even more Michael Jackson coverage….. it was so much worse….. I was going to have to get a bathing suit.  Unfortunately (or fortunately if you are one of those crazy glass half-full people) I have taken to dating a man who loves the water.  Boats…lakes….beaches….again....no way around it. Trust me folks, I've tried!   Last summer I could play it off as the “new girl from Dallas” that wasn’t so keen on the water and people typically left me alone.  But the water activities weren’t going away. In fact, they were increasing.  And I’ve since learned that you really look more ridiculous sitting by the water in full parka gear when everyone else, no matter their size or shape, is in a bathing suit.  The “No really, I’m fine….I’m not hot at all” just doesn’t play with the sweat dripping from your forehead.

There are things in life that aren’t easy. Everyone has trials. You just have to face them and fight through as bravely as possible. All the runners and crazy yoga benders….the “Oh, I just have a great metabolism…lucky genes, I guess” gals….the salad nibblers and the anorexics…..they have their problems too…..I realize this…..just not this one!  But all the "Oh, that guacamole looks good" girls......you know what I'm talking about! ;) 

I was determined to not show weakness….I chose the best shop I could find: Everything But Water. Quality suits. Quality fabric.  David, wisely, dropped me at the door and went to look at electronics.  I went immediately to the all black one-piece section.  Anything with knees?  I looked frantically to no avail.  I grabbed everything that seem to have the most coverage….the 85 year-old grandma line, if you will, and headed to the dressing room. 

“Can I help you?” a girl asked.  “Do you need a fitting room.” I turned to see a 19 year-old, size zero, blonde girl anxiously holding a key in her hand.“  “Yes, thanks.”  I said.  “So, you’re looking for a one piece today?”  Yeah, what of it? I thought to myself.  That’s right….a one piece.  I half-smiled and mumbled a "uh-huh".  Where are we, Abercrombie,  I thought to myself.  There should be a “grown up” section with old ladies like the bra department in your typical department store. They’re not threatening.  I don’t mind buying my Bali’s from Mrs. Winifred Opal.  I don’t want to buy them from a Jessica. ….But I digress….

I tried them on one by one. There was one that I particularly liked. It was black and fit great. It was flattering and with a good cover-up I could make it through a day at the beach.  This was my pick.  I looked at the price tag. $368!!  I looked again. Must be a typo. $68, maybe and they typed the 3 by mistake?  Nope it was there twice on different parts of the tag…..$368.  I didn't even know they made $368 bathing suits that they sold in a little East Coast mall......really? Are we in Beverly Hills? I have to say that I liked it though……I thought about it for a minute.  It’s just a car payment, right? What would it hurt.  I deserve it.  Don't I deserve to feel comfortable?  Nope.  Better put it back. I can’t afford it.  Rats! Next suit.

I hear a knock on the door.  “Kimberly?  (We’re on a first name basis now) Did you find anything you liked? Would you like to try another size?”  I poke my head out around the dressing room door.  I have on a red suit now. "Do you have this in a size larger?"  I ask. "That looks great! Fits you perfectly," she says like a cheerleader for the insecure.   "I wouldn't go any bigger....that's really nice."  "Really?" I say shocked and yet standing a little taller.  I look back in the mirror.  Yeah, it's not that bad.  "Would you like to try a two-piece?  We have several styles.  I have a few in mind that you would look good in."   "Sure." I say. What the heck.  It's just me and the perky salesclerk.  I'll try them. 

Well, 15 minutes, several "sales cheers" and three suits later, I've decided on a 60's inspired two piece with a chocolate brown bottom and a brown/blue/green flowered print top that's really more of a tank top than anything.   I'm feeling pretty good.  Much younger than the suits I had previously tried on.  Jessica and I had bonded.  Overall, it ended up a positive experience.  Now I had one....I mean I wasn't going to have to "really wear it".  I could now say "Oh, yeah, I have my suit.  I'm fine right now though."  Genius!

Or not so much.  As it turned out, now that I had my suit, there was nothing stopping us from spending the day at Wendy's parent's beach house.  Huh....this is not going as I had planned.  I thought the whole "buying the suit" would buy me another month that I could somehow turn into another summer.  It seemed to have the opposite affect.  Rats again!

Saturday afternoon we loaded up and headed to the beach.  It actually turned out to be a great day. Wendy has a really welcoming family.  (We spent the last 4th with them as well.)  So welcoming, in fact,  that we were invited back the following day to spend the afternoon after church on the beach.  Well, I'm getting my money's worth, I suppose! ;)  I got quite the sunburn on my shoulders, but it was a fun time.  We walked around in the FREEZING ocean, floated on giant tubes, hung out ont he beach and talked and watched the kids play in the sand. It was fun.  I have to say that I wouldn't mind going back when it gets a little warmer...ha...hear that Texans....it's July and it's a little too cool for the water!  Strange, I know.

I tried to get some good photos, but really didn't get any.  Maybe next time.  Wendy took our picture while I hid behind the beach chair:

us

Next stop:  Madison, CT.  I hear it's a great beach to sit and read and hangout.  I'll keep ya posted!

Comments

amy said…
sounds really cute!
Jenny said…
Hahah!! Great story! This is excellent, you should print and save this one. Really funny. : ) I'm glad you found a suit. And I'm glad you found one for less than a car payment too! Wear it proud! If the water is as cold as you say, you'll be tensing all of your muscles and you'll look more fit anyway! : )

Popular Posts