A Day in Marblehead, MA

This Saturday David and I took a day trip to Marblehead, MA.  I had been wanting to see it for a few years now.  An old co-worker of mine at CBRE had been and told me about the beautiful scenery, the boats, the homes, the food....I really wanted to go.  It's north of Boston, not too far from Revere Beach.  While the mansions weren't anything like Newport, it was still quite impressive.  Marblehead Neck (the small island accessible by one two-lane bridge) reminded me of a little New England version of Highland Park. Small neighborhood, gorgeous lawns, interesting homes - no two similar - people out walking their dogs, everyone friendly with one another.  Plenty of kids and soccer moms, ladies who tennis and old men in shiny sports cars still trying to pull off wearing jeans for guys half their age.....you know what I'm talking about. I'll attach a few photos.  This is the view we saw when we pulled up.  There was a small place to park and get out and walk. (In the first parking space was a brand new shiny red Ferrari.)  We walked the cliff and took in the scenery.  There were plenty of boats: 

Boats

There was this random guy out fishing off the rocks. I decided he was the richest man on the island and all the money and toys in the world couldn't replace a few hours of peace and quiet fishing like he used to do with his  father growing up.  After the Mon-Fri rat race at the law (um...maybe financial) firm in Boston it was good to drive the good-weather weekend convertible Ferrari down to the water and fish.  Then dinner back at the summer weekend house on Marblehead Neck, MA.  Yes, "the simple things" ....ha.... oh he was probably the guy that cleans the boats at the marina or something. ;)   

Fishing Guy

The sound of the waves crashing on the rocks was so relaxing.  I tried to get the effect on my movie camera, but you couldn't hear the water for the wind.    We hung out for a little while, but you know me....I get restless.  I wanted to go explore.

David

There was a lighthouse at the end of the island.  You can see how clear the sky was...a GORGEOUS fall day!  Not a cloud in sight all day. It was PERFECT!

Lighthouse

This was my favorite house.  The happy bright yellow.  The black trim.  

Yellow House

But really it was the backyard view that I loved the most:

View from House

We saw this hedge and David said. "I think that's a whale!"  We walked closer and sure enough, a whale, complete with fins and water shooting out of the blow-hole.  It was huge.  David loved it.  I thought it was tacky and appauling in this neighborhood.  Okay, outside an aquarium, cute.  In the park at the zoo, okay.  But in the "New England Highland Park" landscape along with everything else....T-A-C-K-Y!  David thinks I just don't get the "Boston whaling culture" there.......perhaps.  ;)     

Whale Bush

Across from the topiary art gone wrong, were some really beautiful pink bushes.  We stopped and tried to get a few photos.....sadly, this was the best we came away with:

Goofing Around2

We went back to Marblehead for lunch (I had my first real Boston chowder.....YUM!!! Huge fan! It didn't taste like thick white flour paste as I've had in the past.) and then some window shopping.  They were having a sidewalk sale and all the stores had special things going on.  Really fun!  Beautiful day, walking off full bellies, talking and laughing, what could be better.  Then right before leaving, we ventured up to Crockett park and looked around.  We sat on a swing for a while and watched a dad with his little girl knock chesnuts off the tree and eat them.  Cute.  Then, on the way back to the car, we saw this:

Bud's Bench Sign

In case it's hard to read, it says

Bud's Bench



Bud Orne courted his wife, Muriel, on this bench.  This was his favorite spot because of the happiness he found in his marriage and life. 
Bud's legacy: "Do a good deed every day and find something to smile about."



Donald "Bud" Orne  June 6, 1915 - August 2, 2005
Muriel L. Orne  October 3, 1916 - January 7, 1997


 

Comments

Jayme said…
I like Bud's legacy :)
Jc Weinbach said…
How many companies actually know how to prune trees correctly?

Popular Posts