Kimberly Misses Her Mom

Arriving in Texas is always SO FUN!!  So much excitement and anticipation. Leaving on the other hand is quite the opposite.  For me, it usually begins the last time I say goodbye to the kids.  I think everyone pretends not to notice as I stand in the back of the crowd, sniffling with red eyes.  It breaks my heart to see them walk out that front door, especially when I'm not sure when I am going to see them again. And the drama continues the following morning when I am packing my bags and getting ready to leave.  I cry all the way to the airport - usually pull it together for boarding and cry all the way home on the plane.

One such moment was this:  I was writing in a journal on the way home in the plane - head down - crying (silently mind you - not sobbing and carrying on) giant crocodile tears.  The tears were hitting the page and the ink was smearing.  I kept writing trying to get everything out before I touched down and had to get my head back in the Connecticut game.  The next thing I see is a small hand pass in front of my line of sight holding a tissue.  Without a word my flying neighbor hands over the tissue.  "Thank you" I mutter never looking up.  I'm sure she thought I was traveling to or from a funeral.  No telling what she told people when she landed about the poor girl sitting next to her.  But I say all this to say, it's a little dramatic when I leave. My heart breaks each and every time.

This last trip I flew back with David and Evan.  David was excited about the trip back and glad that we were on the same flight.  I tried to warn him, but I don't think it set in.  Tears as described before - maybe worse this trip.  Evan and I rode in the backseat on the way to the airport...I was hoping the sunglasses would hide most of the tears, but the giant red nose couldn't be hidden.  I hugged Mom one last time and pretty much cried the next 6 hours home.  David kept telling him that I missed my Mom and that's why I was crying.  (Which only made me cry worse! ha)  I guess Evan's never seen me upset before - no reason for him to see me like that.  David tried to make him feel better and I spent most of the time either on the other side of the airport or angled in my seat so poor Evan wouldn't see my state.  I suppose I should be 34 and mature and calm and collected. But I'm not.....not when it comes to leaving Texas.  It hurts too much. I can't hold it in. Never have been able to.

I say all that to say this:  David took a half day of work today and went to a meeting at Evan's school. They go over his work load, performance, care, etc. every six weeks or so.  David called me after the meeting.  He said that Evan was doing really well. He said that Evan had been talking about his trip to Texas and all the fun things he did. Then David said that Evan is writing in a journal for school and on 10/16/09 Evan's entry was:  Kimberly misses her mom.  ;)  I guess a few days later he was still thinking about our trip back home....my tearful departure anyway.  David and I decided we could travel out together in the fun and excitement, but we should NEVER travel back together!  I need that time "to miss my mom".

Comments

jenny said…
:( I'm sorry. We hate it when you leave, too.
Jayme said…
awww very sweet....we hate to see you go also. Brody and Raina are still going around the house singing "'ome 'ack tooooo 'EXAS .... KIMBERWY!!!!"
U. Bill said…
it was soooo good to see you Precious. You are always missed. You have a special way of saying "ha" that is unique to you and always Kimmy. lol.
wendy said…
Evan so loves all the women in his life! Truly! So when he got back from Texas, I told him how much I missed him. He asked, "Did you cry Mommy? Did you miss me and cry?" "O fcourse!" I replied. He said, "Kimberly was sad too. She missed her Mommy" And then he said, "I need to give her a extra hug" How true! He so knows how to make us smile!

Popular Posts