Soccer



Evan has started playing soccer this year. I've been to one of the practices so far, but oddly enough, on David's weekends, they seem to be during the Cowboy games.  I don't have a child of my own, so forgive me for not understanding, but who signs their kid up for soccer that meets on Sunday afternoons during football season?  Putting a child's well being before football?  I don't get it. ;)  Maybe it's a "northern thing." In the South, we have the good sense to open the soccer fields on Saturdays.  No self-respecting Texan would miss a Cowboy game for soccer! ;) ha.....nevertheless, he has started soccer practice and it's really cute to watch them!  He has a great time.  There is a coach who leads and then each of the kids gets a teenager to work with them one on one while they are following the leader.   They stretch and run and do little drills.  Very cute!  We have practice this Sunday (right smack dab in the middle of the Cowboy game! Thanks goodness for Tivo or whatever it is.) and the weather is suppose to be nice.  I'll try to get a movie clip if I can.  Anyway, it's time of year for most with kids and it put me in the mood to share Brian Andreas' take on the game of soccer:

4 THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT SOCCER THAT YOU MAY FIND USEFUL

  1. If you run too much your lungs burn to tiny little cinders & all you're good for after that is a low-key desk job for the rest of your life.

  2. A soccer ball is softer than a rock, but not much.

  3. If you have a good goalie, you can look around more & see what some of the other teams are up to.

  4. People on the sidelines yell at you because they know exactly what they would do if they had the ball & were 3 feet taller than the biggest kid on the other team.

SOCCER
What are the rules? I said & he said you run & you run & you run until you fall over. There's a couple others in there for variety, he added, but that's the main one.

FUNDAMENTALS
How'd it go at soccer? I said & he said we worked on fundamentals & I said like why you were even chasing around after a ball in the first place? & from the way he looked at me I figured out that was probably too fundamental.

SOCCER COACH
There are a hundred good reasons why no sane person would ever coach soccer, he told me on the drive home, but I forget most of them when I'm on my meds & we laughed wildly in the bright spring air.

Comments

Popular Posts