Christmas Day

As I said in the earlier blog, I was up bright and early on Christmas morning. I did, however, fail to mention that on the way home the night before Dad pulled into Starbucks to see if they were open on Christmas morning.  They were not, but they posted a sign with three alternative stores that were.  So, Christmas morning Mom, Dad and I got up and went to Starbucks!  I was in jammies, a coat and slipper socks.  Mom was up and ready for the day.  Dad was somewhere in between.  We drive around front and Dad got out.  We eventually followed him in and got our drinks, plus one for Grandmommy who was still back home.  When we got back, Grandmommy was up and we had coffee and talked and Mom and Dad got a big breakfast ready.  (Oh, I also failed to mention that Grandmommy had geniously concocted a story that she was bringing a friend with her for Christmas.  So, Mom had the other room all ready to go.  She had "guest breakfast" bought complete with our typical Christmas cinnamon rolls, the "good towels" in the bathroom, flowers in the bedroom, etc. It was a great idea - I hadn't thought of it.  So, I got to enjoy a big breakfast and all the little extras that was intended for this special guest.)  We opened a few gifts, got ready and left to meet Mary, Bill and Haley at the movies at 12:00.  Mom called to see "how many were coming".  All three - great!  But in the car ride over Haley called and said Mary wasn't going to be able to make it and we didn't need to save her a seat. Rats!  Mom didn't say anything except "tell Mary I have a surprise for her when she wants it".  We got to the theatre and it was PACKED!  I told Mom I've been in the  country too long.  I couldn't believe the lines.  We got our tickets and in line for Sherlock Holmes behind the ropes like we were waiting for a roller coaster at Six Flags.  We stood there for a while waiting our turn.  Haley came in first and just as the line started to move, Bill walked in.  It was so fun to see them!  We watched the movie in big comfy leather chairs with a giant screen and awesome sound.  (Much like the grocery stores/tortilla  shopping I mentioned my last trip to Dallas, I often wonder if I exaggerate in my mind the movie theatres here in Dallas.  I mean, a big screen is a big screen right?  Am I just being weird?  Am I not enjoying going to the movies anymore in CT because I have a "selective memory".  NO!  The theatres are SO much nicer here.  They are HUGE!  It's like an IMAX experience in CT just to go to the $8 show here.  The sound is amazing....the fancy projections....noone's head is cut off because the screen is not tall enough. It's awesome.) And while I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, I had a good time being there with my family and enjoying the quality of the theatre.  I look forward to seeing one or two more before I head back.  I just can't imagine how much more fun Nine will be to see here.

The movie let out closer to 4:00 and we went and met Mary at TGIFriday's (about the only thing open on Christmas Day) for an early dinner.  Again, so fun to see her!  We chatted and laughed and ate and then back home to make spice tea for our next adventure.  We got home a little after 6 and Mom put the tea bags on.  If you've never had it, it's tea, orange juice, pineapple juice, tons of spices like cloves and cinnamon and things - I'm not sure how it all goes, but it's so good.  SO GOOD!  It gets better as the weekend goes along.  Plus it makes the house smell amazing!  Mom, Grandmommy, Dad and I filled our Starbucks thermos and grabbed a few snacks -  (Note here David and Wendy: Mom is hooked on the gluten free pretzels now that she bought them for when Evan was here.  She had them left over and ate them, and now she's hooked.  Likes them better than the regular ones except the crazy high price tag!)  I was all comfy in giant sweatshirt and slipper socks.  Mom put blankets in the back for Grandmommy and I and we cranked the Christmas tunes.  FUN!  We took off laughing and talking, excited to spend hours in the car looking at all the lights.  It's not everyone's idea of a fun night, I'm sure, but we had a GREAT TIME!  We drove out to Highland Park to see "the big house" first. It was amazing as always.  We drove around the area and then headed back to Plano to look at Deerfield.  We finally made it back home close to 9:30-9:45.  We tried to get a few pictures, but my camera just doesn't do too well with night shots. There were  plenty of "Merry Christmas Ya'll" signs and a few Texas Longhorns on the lawn.  But I had to get a photo with the Cowboy Santa for those of you up north:



"Texas Santa", complete with hat and boots,  has a horse drawn buggy carrying bags of rifles, Stetson hats, and stick horses for the kids.


Merry Christmas Ya'll!
It's good to be in Texas!

Comments

Popular Posts