Happy December!



25 Days of Christmas Season in Connecticut Begins Today!

Snow is forecasted (at least to fall - may not stick) toward the end of the week.  Christmas trees are being hauled on top of cars from little farms to little homes.  Lights and decorations are starting to appear around town.  Round evergreen wreaths with a single red bow are the window decoration of choice for churches and farmhouses.  People are making their annual trips into "the city" to see Fifth Avenue all lit up.  It's definitely a fun time of year.  We have several parties to go to. (I have two this weekend myself.) David's family is coming in one weekend to celebrate Christmas all together.  We have dinners and decorating, shopping and celebrating to do for the next month or so.  I hope you all have a fun holiday season as well - with the energy levels high and the stress levels low.  December 2009....I can't believe it's already here!

Mom sent me the best cookie recipe.  Very unique.  If you have a cookie exchange this year, might want to think about this one! Note:  Mom just won 1st place in the cookie exchange December 5th for these......They are GOOD!

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • One package of Betty Crocker cherry chip cake mix

  • 1/4 cup flour

  • 1/2 cup oil

  • 1/4 cup water

  • 1 egg

  • 6 oz. chocolate chips


Mix all ingredients.   Drop by spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Note: You could add more chopped maraschino cherries, chopped nuts or coconut to this recipe as well.

Since I can't be there this year to make them. I'll pass on my Giant Cherry Oatmeal Cookie Recipe as well.  (It's so fool-proof even I can make them!)

Giant Cherry Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

  • 1/2 cup shortening (I use Crisco Butter Flavor)

  • 1/2 cup real butter, softened

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark - it's a matter of taste)

  • 1/2 cup white sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (feel free to splurge a little here)

  • 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats

  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 heaping teaspoons apple pie spice

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1 1/2 cups dried cherries, chopped

  • 1/2-1 teaspoon orange zest (fresh or dried will work)


In large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Combine the oats, flour, apple pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture.  Stir in cherries and orange peel. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.  (I always used a big ice cream scoop) Press to form a 4" circle.  Bake at 375 for approx. 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Don't over cook. The chewier the better! Let stand for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool.

Comments

betty said…
I made your mom's cookie, It was loved. I'm going to make your big cookie right away. thanks. I'm making banana bread for a friend today. It's the best recipe I've used and I've tried a bunch before I found this one.

Popular Posts