Cooking With Marie

I have a channel on my television (Channel 5) that CRACKS ME UP! It's local, Local, LOCAL type programming. I've never seen anything like it.  It has the typical announcements for the pancake breakfasts and the local town charity events, school closings and the scrolling local weather.  (Oh my - side note for the Gilmore Girl watchers - we had a local meeting in the town hall of  Litchfield, CT. There was a big to-do to decide whether or not they could put yellow ribbons on the trees in the town square.  It made the Hartford news. They didn't want it to  set a precedent for other causes to put up ribbons.  So funny!  So Gilmore Girls!  I could just see Lorelai & Rory sitting there with snacks watching the locals in the "yellow ribbon" debate!  SO FUNNY! Anyway, that was covered on this Channel 5 to give you an idea.)  But it also has square dancing at some local community center, preachers and churches of different sorts, a lady who leads yoga in her living room, puppet shows, knitting, painting and quilting ladies....if you have a semi-talent, skill or hobby and a camcorder, I think you can get on this channel!  It's hysterical!  There are a few "in your home" cooking shows and two that really caught my eye while flipping through.  One is a very large man with a gruff voice. You rarely see his face, just hands and a big stomach.  He cooks in his tiny little kitchen while a friend or relative holds in the camcorder. The dogs come in and bark and carry on. The kids are fighting/playing in the background. He simmers away in pots that aren't as nice as the ones I have!  It's so funny!

There is another show that I really have started to watch/enjoy. It's Cooking With Marie.  She has this big kitchen with a giant window into the backyard - a lovely house and lovely little outfits - she wears the 50's style aprons sometimes with her jeans and pumps - too cute! She looks like she just got out of college with her ponytail and freckles.  She caught my attention when I was flipping through and she mentioned salsa that she got made in Texas.  I have watched several shows and discovered she lives in Austin.  (A UT grad).  I have no idea how old this show is, or how it got on our little CT Channel 5, but I love it! Haley/Jenny, do you know of her? I googled her today and found that she's had lots of write-ups.  An award-winning cookbook.  She's been on Martha Stewart and in Southern Living.  She has done well. She must be married now, as her name is Saba, instead of Hejl as it is on the shows I'm watching.  These must be really old shows - she has friends in for baby showers and guys in for "date nights".  She makes fairly easy, but really yummy looking things.  Mainly, she just has a bubbly personality like a slightly dialed-down Rachael Ray. She's really cute! If you get a chance to watch her in Dallas, check her out! She's darling! It looks like she's on (or was on) DCTV, Channel 27A, but I have no idea if you get that or not.  27A??  Is that just 27?  I have no idea.  I put her website on my foodie links, but it seems a little out of date. Here's an article about her:  http://www.mariesaba.com/images/Tribeza07.pdf  Anyway, a little Texas cooking once a week for me - I'm Cooking With Marie now!

Comments

jenny said…
I haven't heard of her - I'll have to look her up on your link. She is totally cute!
jenny said…
(You do know that UT has like 50,000 students per year, right? She could have been in my graduating class and I wouldn't have known - what a shame!)
kimsingleton said…
Ha! Okay, you're right. I didn't know if she was a "mini-celebrity" on campus! Well, I think she may be retired or laying low these days - maybe she has kids now - I can't seem to find anything current on her. But she paid her way through UT Law School with this cooking thing - so kudos to her!
Bill Moore said…
Kimmy, Marie Saba is an attorney at a San Antonio law firm: http://www.phmy.com/profile_saba_marie.asp
This profile tells a bit of what she is doing now. It would be cool to take her Continuing Legal Education course that doubles as a cooking class! Also, I thought this was an interesting article:
http://www.mariesaba.com/images/AWM07010SustenanceHejl.pdf
betty said…
Remember my local radio garage sale plus program? We use to listen and I would recognize some of the people's voices. I didn't like to call it because friends would say,"i heard you on the radio"and I hadn't mentioned my name. That's small town in any state.
kimsingleton said…
Yep, tradio! We have something like there here - I heard it before. SMALL TOWN is right! :)

Popular Posts