I'm Ready For a Fiesta!

This weekend David's folks are coming down and we are having a mini-fiesta with them and another couple.  I'm so excited - been thinking about it all week!  It reminds me of the very first birthday I spent with David (when he turned 40). I threw him a slightly bigger fiesta at his house - about 6-7 couples or so.  Before I left Dallas, I shipped boxes of dishes, pitchers, mexican nic-nacs, those colorful mexican blanket/shawls for table covers and things I bought from the Farmer's Market downtown and the Fiesta grocery store on Spring Valley.  That was some fun shopping! Yes, we have the tortilla warmers and salsa "cups" like the restaurants - the blue pottery and the colorful pitchers!  Pieces of Texas/Mexico up here in little 'ol CT! Can't wait to pull it all out and use it again! It makes me happy - makes me think of home - makes me remember that particular birthday party - I can't think of any party more fun than a fiesta and even if it's 30 degrees in dreary January New England, it will be sunny and 80 in my heart all weekend long I'm sure!

David and I are going shopping tonight. Nancy and George are coming on Saturday morning and we'll cook that afternoon and get it all ready.  I have the menu set:
~ Appetizers ~
Blue corn chips served with fresh guacamole,
pico de gallo & Luna de Noche’s famous cilantro salsa

~ Entrée ~
"Build Your Own” Mexican Buffet
corn & flour tortillas
grilled skirt steak & chicken breasts
portabella mushrooms
served with crisp lettuce, ripe tomatoes,
green peppers & onions,
jack cheese, guacamole, limes,
cilantro & an assortment of salsa to fit any taste

~Sides ~
Cilantro & lime rice & slow-simmered
served with mexican black beans
garnished as desired

~Dessert ~
A  Nancy Oakes creation

I want to try the cilantro lime rice from the Love Of Cooking website, but serve it like the brown rice and beans in February's Martha Stewart Magazine.  WHICH BY THE WAY.....someone is sending me and not fessing up!  Thank you so much whoever you are! What a great surprise last week to get it in the mail! ;)  I can't wait for the next one!  Thank you! Does this not look amazing: 


Black beans and rice garnished with fresh avocado, cilantro, red onion, tomato with a squeeze of fresh lime! ;)  YUMMY!  Now that's good eating!

Here's the table (posted 1-24-10)



Comments

betty said…
Oh how I wish I had a share of that food! Yummmmy

Popular Posts