A Trip to Texas

Last week was a blur! Thursday morning about 10:30am we were up and off to the Boston airport. We normally fly out of Hartford, but got two tickets for less than the price of one if we flew out of Logan. It's about a 2 hour or so trip. The day could not have gone smoother!! We got our Starbucks, headed out with little to no traffic. The weather was pretty. There was no GPS "discussion" (I think David's finally starting to get it! ha) The parking and airport navigation was easy. No stress. We even had time to sit and grab a chicken bruschetta sandwich before we boarded. Married travel suits us we decided.....we'd never had such an easy trip!

There was only one glitch: I had sacrificed (true love don't you know) and packed only a carry on. It was a first for me, but marriage is about compromise, right? Note: I have a feeling the fact that I bragged on myself the whole way there for doing it negated the act itself :) ha! As I handed the smiley lady in blue my boarding pass and wheeled my little red suitcase pass the ticket counter, a less smiley woman stopped me. We had to check our bags. The flight was full. Ugh....but as I watched the guy in front of me huff and stomp and carry on like an infant, I decided to breathe and enjoy the ride! We checked our bags and watched them being carried off like our little pets or something - hoping to see them on the other side.

The flight was SO LONG! It seemed like forever to get there and step foot on Texas soil. The bags arrived safely with us. We picked up our car, ready to go and larger than we had planned....thanks Hertz...and headed to The Mansion with one quick stop at Gloria's on Lemmon for guac and brisket tacos. I laughed as David ordered some sort of Mexican food sampler smorgasbord. Tacos, enchiladas...the works! YUM....You're eatin' like a Texan, I kidded him.....hey, when in Rome...

The hotel was lovely, of course. If you know The Mansion, you know. And if you don't, you really should visit and get to know! The Lady Primrose in crystal decanters and fresh orchids in the bathroom were over the top....just lovely! (http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/)



Friday morning we woke up with our Starbucks craving, so being the dutiful new husband, David headed downstairs for a black eye with cream...anything for his girl. ;) The town car picked him up at the front door and took him around the corner. As the driver opened his door and let him out into the world of over-priced designer coffee, he had to smile to himself - he got a kick out of the second glances (who is that? is he somebody?) Back into the car, whisked away, in minutes. "I could get use to this" he laughed as I walked back into the hotel room.

First stop was telling the parents. Grandmommy and Vickie were at the house when we walked in. Grandmommy was thrilled! We got shrieks and tears. I called Mom and told her that we wanted to meet her for lunch. "Is this a lunch your father needs to be at?" she asked. (Guess she had a clue something was up). "Yep," I said. Dad was stunned. Mom was figuring as much. We told them the story over more Mexican food and Dad headed back to work. They were happy for us - they love David. I got in the rental car with David while Mom and Grandmommy followed us to the return site. EVIDENTLY, Mom immediately called Marsha and they began scheming on a reception of some sort. Marsha and Sharon planned to surprise us after Dad's birthday dinner. I, of course, had no idea.

The family visit was so fun. I have a new nephew that I was able to visit with....saw the kids....saw family and friends that I have been missing. We had such a nice time. Ate way too much. Laughed constantly.....I love being home.

Saturday we spent with the kids and had a cookout. It was such a nice day. Marsha and Sharon were coming over to get the house ready to decorate for Dad's party. At least I thought that was the plan. We left the house about 4:30 or so to take Dad to dinner. Dad locked the door so Marsha and Sharon couldn't get in the house. Marsha called Mom. "Ummmm...the door's locked". We told Dad the "surprise" and went back and greeted them standing out front. "Now Tom, act surprised, okay?" Mom drilled him. We left for dinner and met family and friend in Plano. Everyone was there and we ate and talked and had a nice time. Marsha and Sharon showed up a little late and left a little early. "Be surprised Tom", Sharon annouced before they all left. It had become a big joke. Well, so much for surprises....it was the thought that counted anyway, right?

We all headed out and Dad drove David and I back to the house. "Ok Dad, act surpris........"I started to say as I opened the door and saw this giant balloon. It took me a second to process. The surprise was on David and I.


We had such a nice time. The table was beautiful.....hydrangeas and tulips...white coconut cake....candles and photos. It was so thoughtful - so nice. Such a great surprise. Words can't describe. It felt like a real reception....really added something nice.

The cake was GOOD! I love a good cake...ha!



And they had a gift tree with all sorts of gift cards that we can't wait to dig into! So thoughtful....and much appreciated. It was just PERFECT!



We had such a lovely night.


There are tons of photos on Facebook if you want to see the works. It's getting late....more to add tomorrow. But we had a really nice trip!

Comments

Popular Posts